• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Road Runner to 2018 Chryslers @ Carlisle or bust!

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I haven't been on here often enough, but here I come! This will be my thread to document the work and progress on my 68 RR in order to feel more comfortable with driving her a longer distance than local cruises.

Goal: Drive 180 miles to Carlisle for 2018 show (and back home).

I've owned this car since 1993, I'n the second owner, she was purchased new at Kelly Chrysler Plymouth in Marietta, GA. One repaint in original RR1 Burgundy Metallic sometime in the 80's and it shows! Patina? LOL. She is really clean overall - she wouldn't look this good if she spent her whole life outside in PA. She stays in the garage, and has played second fiddle to the super clean 75 Scamp I picked up several years ago.

All original, numbers matching driveline. 101k miles, 383/727/3.23's.
Here's a list of items needing attention and sorted out:
Brakes: The front hoses have small cracks, the Master Cylinder was spongy, and front brake lines' fittings are rounded off (not by me).

Radiator:
original and needs to be checked, possibly re-cored, the car has always run kinda hot. Also, I will be installing a factory steel two piece shroud I picked up. New hoses, clamps, thermostat, water pump.

Transmission:
New cooler lines, drop pan and helicoil a couple bolt holes for pan.

Differential:
I swapped in a rebuilt 742 carrier with 3.91's. That was important to me about 20 years ago. I will be going back to the original 3.23's - MUCH more highway friendly. I'll be installing a new Yoke, pinion seal, and swapping just the clutch type sure grip from my 3.91 carrier into the original 3.23 one-legger!

Rear Seat:
The car has reproduction seat covers (yes, I scoured junk yeards years ago to obtain the seat back buttons, disassembled them, and dyed correct Maroon like a proper OCD patient). But, both tabs inside the car which hold down the rear seat back are busted off from installing and removing too much, so I will need to weld tabs on so the seat doesn't ride high toward the roof and stays where it should.

Some things I already completed: Rebuilt original carb, Electronic ignition just last year. Yep, I am done with points. new plugs, wires, coil, ECU, voltage regulator, ballast resistor.

The master cylinder is bench bled and in as of yesterday, an NOS unit I purchsed years ago. I will be ordering new front brake lines, I picked up new front hoses in Carlisle a coupe weeks ago.

I know you guys like pictures, so I will include some along the way. That's all for now, I'll be back on later this evening with pics!

I look forward to any help you guys can provide, or even some motivation. I'm a 49 year old guy who needs to get his *** back out into the garage for my 1968 baby!

THANKS FBBO!

Welcome back on here at FBBO. Good luck on your quest to reach Carlisle next year. :thumbsup:
Don't forget the progress pictures. :D

A lot of A body Dodges were sold by Marietta Dodge back then.
I suspect Lockheed employees were a big customer for grocery getters.
I have one that I saved from a Fayetteville junkyard back around 9/11.
Had the dealer on the deck lid.
Pa?
"We" want "our" Road Runner back.:lol:
(Georgia)
Na. You can keep it.

Good luck. Make sure the cooling system is gone through and of course brakes for safety. Pittsburgh to Carlisle is 3 hours of Turnpike. Speed limit is 70mph now in case you haven't been on it for a while.

As Promised....
The Stable
2017 RR 1.JPG

Engine
2017 RR 2.JPG

Master cylinder
2017 RR MC.JPG

Brakes (so far)
2017 RR Brakes1.JPG

profile =)
2017 RR 3.JPG

Good luck. Make sure the cooling system is gone through and of course brakes for safety. Pittsburgh to Carlisle is 3 hours of Turnpike. Speed limit is 70mph now in case you haven't been on it for a while.
I was just out there with my Scamp, but yeah, the cooling system needs to be up to snuff!

A lot of A body Dodges were sold by Marietta Dodge back then.
I suspect Lockheed employees were a big customer for grocery getters.
I have one that I saved from a Fayetteville junkyard back around 9/11.
Had the dealer on the deck lid.
Pa?
"We" want "our" Road Runner back.:lol:
(Georgia)
Na. You can keep it.
Ha! Have you come across any Kelly Chrysler Plymouth stuff?

Thanks for looking at my thread fellas, I am ordering Front brake lines through fine lines tonight!

Hey Harry. I've been kicking around the idea of finally making it out there next year myself. If things work out, maybe we can convoy!

Making some progress....Out with the old, in with the new
RR Brakelines 1.JPG

Wrestling with the large line across fire wall...
RR Brakelines 2.JPG

finished for now
RR Brakelines 3.JPG

RR Brakelines 4.JPG

I would grade Fine Lines products C.
They definitley needed to be tweaked a bit ESPECIALLY the two short lines running from the Master Cylinder to the Proportioning valve / junction block.

I just got the tank back on mine today, had it out last week and the gasket for the sender was shot.

Beware of the newer lock ring, they're thin and they suck. Re-use your old one for the sending unit.

I love the color RR1. Gonna enjoy watching this one

Well..... Today was not my day. Tried to bleed the brakes and nearly rounded off a bleeder screw. Front resevoir went down too low. Yeah, I bench bled the MC, but now will have to bleed the MC on the car.
No difference between wooden dowel pushing it in on a vise and brake push rod pushing from inside the car, right? FAAAAAck!

I've only bench bleed one master, and it didn't make any difference, didn't save any time.

Auto Transport Service
Back