• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 383 super bee fuel line?

BAFRAID

She’s looking like a Super Bee again!!
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
I was searching for a new front to rear fuel line for my 69 bee thinking all I needed was one line. Then I see return lines and vent lines. Do I need these? I don’t think it had them originally but she has been disassembled for a few years and I can’t remember. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tad

5/16 single line is OE, unless you want to add a return line and then it's a 5/16 and a 1/4" line.. even on my '70 Bird. All depends what YOU want to do and what engine you're running up front.

The 383 just had the 5/16" fuel line going from tank to pump. The 440 and bigger had the return 1/4" line as well. As far as California cars and such I am unsure if they had more emissions junk on them, but pretty sure most if not all 383's just had the standard one line to the front.

So the steel fuel line specifically for the 69 bee from most sites is around $70 plus shipping. I just found a 25 foot roll of coated steel 5/16 inch fuel/brake line for $18.99. I’m not going for Concourse so I’m thinking maybe I should just make my own line. Has anyone done this before?

Many have made their own lines, no different than brake lines. Here's shape and route if you want it correct.
beerestoration2017 1917.JPG
beerestoration2017 1930.JPG
beerestoration2017 1931.JPG
beerestoration2017 1932.JPG
beerestoration2017 1953.JPG
beerestoration2017 1954.JPG
beerestoration2017 1958.JPG

My 2 cents...something to be careful of, if you don't know if you had vent lines (which don't necessarily run up to the front but vent into the truck) is whether you have a vented fuel cap or not. No vented cap and no vented tank and the vacuum created by the fuel pump will start to collapse the tank.

My 2 cents...something to be careful of, if you don't know if you had vent lines (which don't necessarily run up to the front but vent into the truck) is whether you have a vented fuel cap or not. No vented cap and no vented tank and the vacuum created by the fuel pump will start to collapse the tank.
Those lines shouldn't vent into the trunk; they run into and out of the trunk area but vent below into the outside air. The service manual even points out to ensure it isn't blocked if the car has been undercoated.
upload_2020-12-31_16-29-34.png

Auto Transport Service
Back