• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger R/T resurrection

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
P6300014.JPGThought I would start a thread on my current project. The car was from Michigan and last tagged in 1982. Shows 71,000 miles. Was F3 ext., F8 int., green vinyl top with a black rump strip. 440, 4-speed, trac pac, tic-toc-tac, and Galin Govier inspected. I looked for a couple of years to find what I wanted, this having everything important to me except the color combo. The original motor is long gone, but most everything else is there. So far I have gotten it stripped down, media-sand blasted, epoxy primered, a plan concocted, enough AMD metal delivered to be a stocholder, and ready to start on metal replacement this winter. Just finished the inner fenders.

Attachments

• P7010017.JPG
    P7010017.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 4,838
  • P7230137.JPG
    P7230137.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 4,956
  • P8180244.JPG
    P8180244.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 4,923
  • P9020253.jpg
    P9020253.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 4,791
  • P9200269.JPG
    P9200269.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 4,667
  • P9200272.JPG
    P9200272.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 4,641
  • P9220277.JPG
    P9220277.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 4,594
  • PA160300.JPG
    PA160300.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 4,543
  • PA160303.JPG
    PA160303.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 4,517
  • PB070320.JPG
    PB070320.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 4,524
  • PB220338.JPG
    PB220338.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 4,478
  • PB070326.JPG
    PB070326.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 4,388
  • PB070324.JPG
    PB070324.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 4,365
  • PC040346.JPG
    PC040346.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 4,378
  • PC040347.JPG
    PC040347.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 4,368
  • PC070349.JPG
    PC070349.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 4,298
Nice start, this will be a great thread... keep it coming.....

well somebody has been working hard, looking very good, keep us updated, we love reading about the new work and seeing the car **** updates:headbang:

I just purchased a 69 charger also and mine is somewhat like yours, but it came with all the matching body parts and engine/trans. I am going to start buying some sheet metal parts that I need and hope to get it to my body guy in 2 weeks. Keep the pictures coming.

You certainly started out of the gate on this one quick.

dupont hot hues coppersunset.jpgdupont hothue coppersunset.JPGI bought the car this past summer with the hopes of having it ready for metal replacement by winter. I just made it because we are getting dumped on by snow as I type. I intended to start a thread earlier, but kept running out of time. Hopefully I will be able to keep current now. I got the frame from Jeff & Jerry (Dodge33) on this site. Good guys with nice parts and I was able to make a road trip with the family to pickup. All the AMD metal came from Jeff @ 521Restorations. One of the nicest and fairest people I have ever dealt with. The biggest unforseen issue was that the car had sat for many years in a farmers shed and become a hotel for all the local mice. The frames, torsion bar crossmember and rockers were packed full of nests. I dug and blew out more than a 55 gallon barrel worth. This in turn rotted the metal from the inside out. The front frames are good, but the other parts I will replace. This was a shame because the car was fairly solid when parked. It was factory undercoated and then the doors, rockers, and front quarters were packed with grease which looked to be done at the dealer. This really preserved the metal, but was a pain in the a$$ to remove. I have several months to pick a color combo but am having a hard time deciding. This Dupont Hot Hues Coppersunset keeps popping up in my dreams.

I Know Jeff and Jerry in MI. Thought it might one of mine or theirs. Also know Jeff @ 521. All good guys.

Looks like some professional chaos going on up north! Looks very nice indeed -- like you know what you're doing! Good!

Very nice, I'm still having problems keeping mice out of mine while I'm working on it "damn mice". Speaking of mice, I had forgot all about my little mod while building my car but it might be something you would be interested in. While I had it apart I put a fine expanded metal guard over the cowl drains, you know for sure them little bastards would get in there and have your whole car stinking. Looks great keep up the good work.

PC100005.JPGPC110027.JPGPC120032.JPGPC120034.JPGMade a little more progress and will say I am not overly impressed with some of the AMD panels for these Chargers. The inner fenders fit perfect. Moved to the deck filler panel and found out it is almost .25 inch to narrow on the left side. Not sure what we are going to do to fix that. Anybody ever try pulling in the tops of the quarters slightly? The tail light piece is another not so perfect piece. If used as is the lights have a huge gap on the tops and nothing on the bottom. After calling AMD I was told there have been alot of complaints regaurding this. The only way to fix it is to remove the buckets and reweld straight. I don't even want to know how many hours it will take to repair these. Also the full trunk pan rear bend that welds to the tailpanel is bent .5 inches to short so we will have to either try to rebend or cut it and reweld. It sure is a shame to have to cut up new metal to get the fitment right. Good thing there are no deadlines for me and this project. Does anybody have accurate measurements for the console brackets? These seem to be slightly tipped towards the driver and don't line up the best either. I decided to put in a full floor pan so will reweld them in the correct spots.

A lot of keyboard sheetmetal guys put AMD wayyyy up on a pedestal and call them plug and play panels, but obviously from your posts and feedback from us other guys about AMD, their perfection panels do not exist. Now compared to some other manufactures, they do have the best fit, but again, obviously not perfect. I've heard that the Charger panels gave folks headaches from time to time Hunt2elk. Especially if they've been running the tooling for quite a while. I too had conversations with AMD about panel issues on my RR. One of the issues they admitted to having complaints, the others said they had no negative feedback, which was pretty unbelievable.

Myself I would send AMD a pic of that crap fitment with the deck filler, tell them to send you another to see if it fits better and if it doesn't...well, use it to graft out a slice to extend the other. Either that or graft in your own cut/shaped metal. Lot of extra work....almost be worth looking for a donor, but that would be like trying to find Atlantis. I'm sure you could massage the quarter/deck filler to get a little closer, but my guess is in the end you're still gonna end up with a bit of an irregular gap.

As far as your tail light issue..I'd be pretty ticked as well. That is a lot of extra work. Pay that much money, a guy would figure they'd be right, but not so much. All part of the fun I guess.

Its very rare that a panel will fit perfectly. There's always a hack here and there to get 'em to fit, happens all the time.

PC130035.JPG
Its very rare that a panel will fit perfectly. There's always a hack here and there to get 'em to fit, happens all the time.

Yeah I realize that Donny, guess I just got spoiled on the inner fenders. I may call AMD to see if they would send out another filler panel. Like Prop said I could make 1 out of 2.
On a side note, I wish I could remember who recommended getting a set of these spotweld chisels so I could thank them. They are the cats *** for popping the spot welds after using the Blair cutter.

Looks like your really going to town hunt2elk.. Hopefully you wont have to many more problems with fitment, This will be great to watch and follow along with! Good luck with the restoration..

Glad to see you are back Ron. Still got the "bell from hell".
Made a little progress last night. I met this 28 year old kid last summer who is a wiz with metal work. He is going to help me where I don't feel comfortable. It is amazing to me how easy he makes fabrication look. Started on the upper rear window area. He has been telling me for the past 2 months that we should use as much original metal as possible because of poor fitment on all replacement parts. I thought he was crazy until seeing the issues we will have to repair on new AMD stuff. PC130035.JPGPC130036.JPGPC140037.JPGPC140038.JPG

WOW!!!! That new channel looks real good.When he gets done with yours, send him down my way.

On the deck filler panel fit, I had the same issue on my charger with the AMD panel. I re-bent the lip to move it over, I also saw a show where they had this issue and cut the panel next to the bend and then welded a wedge shape back in. I'm one of the guys propwash is talking about "propping up AMD" but I really had a great experience working with they're panels with only minor setbacks like this, all of the other brands I've used where flat out crap. I would avoid trying to pull the quarters in to the panel for fear of distortion. Good luck, lookin good

Auto Transport Service
Back