• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger Restro - Now my turn

moparfanUSA

Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
I have been following Mr. Speed Freak and Hunt's restorations with a lot of interest, as I am starting mine as well.
So I will give a brief history ( I hope).
I was not looking for any more cars and swore off doing any more after completely redoing my 69 GTX a couple of years ago.
I keep in touch with the guy that did my paint and body work for the GTX about every 2 weeks or more, we have become friends.
So out of the blue he calls me back in Nov, 2012 and tells me a guy that had stopped in to see him a few years back and wanted him to restore his 69 charger, so my body guy tells him to come over with it, but he never shows up, he just keeps seeing him around town and the guy keeps telling my guy, don't worry, I want to do it.
Well years go by and he finally stops by and tells my P & B man that he took the whole car apart and started to sandblast it but has run into some legal trouble ( not with the car) and he needs to sell it ASAP. I then get the call....am I interested in it. I ask how much and the price seemed real good, so a few days later off we go ( P & B guy in tow). My guy looks at it and says it is going to need a lot of work.
The bad, The floor pan and trunk pans need to be replaced with the rear quarters and rear frame rails, plus it has some other rot.
The good, he purchased ALL of the sheet metal, (floor pan, trunk pan both full quarters and other parts) and had them sitting next to the car when we went to look at it.
All of the other parts, console, dash, front grille, seats..ect were sitting in boxes. The 69 grille was all there, but had some pieces broken and need some things (like the center section, I-beam) repaired. Next to that grille was a complete, nothing wrong with or broken 68 grille, and all it needs is to be taken apart and painted. ( that grille alone is worth more than what I paid for the car) ( I am going to restore it and sell it).
After all said and done we offer him 1/2 of what he was asking ( even that was not much) and he accepted, so I got the charger for the price of 2 doors.
We load her up and off to go sit covered at my body guys shop for the next year.

It is a standard XP charger, all numbers matching, it came with the original 383 and 727 ( I have both, came with the car, both would need to be rebuilt).
I have the fender tag, but it has to much rust to use it and I have decoded it with the exception of about 3 items.
It started out T7 Dark Bronze with Tan interior, ( I do not like those colors at all) Auto on the floor, no A/C.
( ok I guess I'm not being brief)
After I get the title I find out who the previous owner was from the guy I purchased it from. So I do some research ( the internet is great!) and find out a person that matches the last name. I could not find his phone number, so I decide to drive about and hour and a half away, get there and knock on the door....no answer, so I leave a note. Later that night I get a call from him and I tell him my story, but he says he was not him but he would check with his son. I get a call the next day, BAM, turns out he owned it over 25 years ago, he was the second owner.
As you will see in the pictures, he painted it yellow and some point later it was painted blue. I will not bore you with the whole conversation he an I had.
This is how it looked over a year ago the day I picked it up.( the one on trailer)

- - - Updated - - -

OK finally.....My body guy ( Brian) tells me (after going up to see him every few weeks) New years Eve day, that he is going to roll her in and start on the Charger.
I go up 2 days later and he has it up on jack stands, with the rear end sitting on the floor and he is going to take the K-frame out next. IMG_1004.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I go up yesterday and today and he hands me ALOT of stuff, U-Bolts, Gas Pedal, Brake assem, and more. I go over to his blast cabinet and blast everything he gives, takes the whole day, but it's all done. He now has all of the doors and trunk and hood lined up to make sure all the gaps line up nice. He takes apart the door latches and cleans them up and I was surprised when he told me to open and close them.....they opened and closed real nice....solid.
Here are some more pictures. By the end of next week he said he will have all of the sheet metal on and them I will go and cut the floor pans out.
So far he has done a lot in a short amount of time.

Attachments

• charger1.jpg
    charger1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 935
  • web2.jpg
    web2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 940
  • web1.jpg
    web1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 910
  • web3.jpg
    web3.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 832
  • web4.jpg
    web4.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 812
  • web5.jpg
    web5.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
Nice looking ride and sounds like you got one hell of a deal. I don't like to talk $ but I did not get a deal on my car. It actually took 6 months to work the deal. Do you gave a date set for when you are thinking of having your car finished. Good luck with your project.

Certainly looks like a great project, and I'm sure you will get loads of advice and encouragement here on the FBBO Forum. Welcome to the site, and please keep this one regularly updated. It is good to see that more cars and projects are still being found and worked on.
Thanks. :headbang:

Very nice, now lets see some work.

Looks like you have officially joined the Charger restoration club. PM me your email and I will send you those measurements you were asking about.

Last edited:
Q5 resize.jpgView attachment 161326dc_reg1_resize_sized.jpgOk, so here is what I am going to do. My P & B guy gave me a 440 and I went and brought a 4 speed. I have an Auto right now and want the 4 speed, so that will be it.
I am going to badge it as an R/T with the rear stripe. It will have a black vinyl top. For the engine I will be using headers and I have a set of 516 CC heads that I ran for a short time with the GTX while the 906's were being worked on. The 516's were all rebuilt this summer and the GTX really had some power. I will be putting in a very mild cam ( one step up from stock) I was thinking about Hyd roller lifters, but after reading some things about them, it seems they give up on the top end of the RPM, so maybe I will just go with the stock Hdy set up. I am planning on putting in flat top pistons. Since I got the 440 for free I can do what I want with it.
Now, I have drove myself to the funny farm to decide what color I wanted to paint it, it's killing me, but I have it down to 3.
Q4 (light Turquoise met) Q5 (bright Turq. met) or some form of cooper sunset as you have seen in Hunt's thread.
So there you have my 3 choices. I have black Interior.

Good luck in your build! Looks like a great project and this one is just down right beautiful to me...

attachment_zps7914ea9f.jpg

Good luck in your build! Looks like a great project and this one is just down right beautiful to me...

Ah - I remember the sleepless nights when trying to decide on a color lol. This car is actually 2005 GoManGo and has a little more orange in it than Dupont Coppersunset. I still have the paint panel of the Dupont hanging on my wall in the shop. If I do another car it will be a 69 Bee in Coppersunset.

WHAO ! ! ! This is pretty close to the color that I'm toying with painting my Belvedere . . .
Looking for something that is in between Burnt Orange and Copper . . . not too sure what color it is but the color of this car is VERY NICE ! ! ! I like it a BUNCH ! ! !

Need to look up GoManGo and CopperSunset . . . Thanks H2E . . .

H2E . . . this thread bringing back memories ? ? ( or nightmares ? ? ) . . . ( smile ) . . .

H2E . . . this thread bringing back memories ? ? ( or nightmares ? ? ) . . . ( smile ) . . .

Second guessing myself again lol. I just love this color, but didn't have big enough balls to paint a 2nd generation Charger with it. To late for me now - mine is black and staying that way :3gears:.

Hey Dom glad to see your project getting rolling! Here's that measurement I was talking about, not sure how helpful it'll be but unfortunately it's the best I can do without taking my collumn apart (I need to install it back in the car today) :shruggy:

(Collumn fully assembled)
20140105_095359.jpg

And measuring from the very end of the housing to the edge of the coupler
20140105_095529.jpg

I got just shy of 5 1/4"
20140105_095641.jpg

Hopefully elk can get you some more helpful measurements!

And as far as color goes copper sunset looks great, but I really like the look of this one too
attachment-17.jpeg

gal metal.JPGI was going through some stuff in the boxes I have and ran across this, not sure what they are for, I think somewhere in the doors for the window? But what I found really neat was the date stamped on the metal. I do not think Dodge did it, but rather the manufacture. photo.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mr. Speed. Elk also!
I should be able to fix it from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so some progress is being made. Have the rear frame rails in and the trunk floor and some of the back on, nothing welded yet, just fitting things together.
Does anyone know what the 2 galvanized pieces in the pictures above are for?
I hope to go up on Thursday and start on the floor pans.
truckpan.jpgrearframerail.jpgtaillightmetal.JPG

You are moving right along there. It's awesome that you have such a good working relationship with your P&B guy, get to use his shop and get a free 440. Can't beat that!

The Q4 light turquoise with black vinyl top is a great combination.

View attachment 161419I was going through some stuff in the boxes I have and ran across this, not sure what they are for, I think somewhere in the doors for the window? But what I found really neat was the date stamped on the metal. I do not think Dodge did it, but rather the manufacture. View attachment 161418

- - - Updated - - -

They look like the rear window extensions for the padded interior cover/capping trim piece that goes above the door card.

View attachment 161419I was going through some stuff in the boxes I have and ran across this, not sure what they are for, I think somewhere in the doors for the window? But what I found really neat was the date stamped on the metal. I do not think Dodge did it, but rather the manufacture. View attachment 161418

- - - Updated - - -
Thanks Mr. Speed. Elk also!
I should be able to fix it from there.
They go inside the car at the rear quarter windows, your top trim pad will go over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry didn't see Kiwi answered it for ya.

Thanks, Kind of what I thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok paint color is settled.........................Tangerine pearl...just a little darker than GoMOango for 2006 and a little lighter than Copperhead Pearl.
Paint is ordered!

One of my favorite colors "my last car was Tangerine Pearl".

Cool beans! Another Charger......Thanks to all you charger guys, if I ever acquire one, i'll be an ace at restoring it. lol There could be a well versed book written from all the charger restoration threads going on around here.

Looks like a decent project moparfanUSA. Best of luck with your resto. Color should look great!

Auto Transport Service
Back