• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger Restro - Now my turn

inside heater box.jpgI almost have the heater box done, but here is a stupid question, when I look into the box thru the top of the pass side cowl I can see when the fresh air vent is closed, it looks like when air is coming in just from driving the air would push right past the heater core and put out heat. Since there are no thermostats in the heater line to shut the water off, I would think heat would be there all the time. I know the box is put back right.
Am I just crazy?

It's been a while since I rebuilt mine but isn't there another door after the heater core to block off the heat when the heater is off??

Well, spent most of the day up at the body shop, I sanded down both fenders found some small dents under the bondo. MY P & B guy got the 4 speed tunnel hump in and the pass side floor pan all done. He started to put in the pass. side trunk extension. So here is the latest pictures.4 speed hump.jpgboth floor pans.jpgpass side trunk ext.jpg

looking real good getting all the bull work done :headbang:

The good, the bad and the ugly.
Well, went up to the car today to work on the K-frame. I took it completely apart, not good news. Looks like maybe the drivers side was hit or bent. My body guy tells me he does not feel right trying to fix it. When we tried to remove the lower control arm stud, it would not move, then we look and see that someone welded the 2 together. He had to use a cut off wheel to get it apart and you can see by the picture how bad it was, looks like someone welded in the sleeve. So I'm in a bad spot. I'm going to put up a separate thread asking for opinions. He wants me to go to a new style frame support, like a Q1A style.
I wanted to try and keep it original. Either way I have to calculate the cost to see which way to go. I don't want to lose the torsion bars, but I might have to. Has anyone else gone to the new type "K" frame?
K frame bad lower control sleeve.jpg

That was the ugly, here is some of the good and the bad. I going to try something a little different. If my body guy has the before's and after's, I'll post them that way. I think it might be better that to try and go back to the beginning of the thread. So with that said, here is the floor pan the day the car came into the shop and after it was fixed. Notice all the sand. The guy that had it before me tried to sandblast parts of the car and failed miserably.
floor pan with sand.jpgboth floor pans.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the front frame, once the floor pans came out we found rot and it need to be fixed, so he hand fabricated the pieces that need to be fixed. Once done he always sprays cooper coating. It will never rust again ( at least not in my lifetime)
side frame unfixed.jpgside frame fixed.jpg
side frame fixed copper.jpg

Things are progressing nicely. It looks like you found a very good body guy - very important in my book. As far as the k-frame, I would find another from a 68-69. They are not that difficult to locate. When I pulled my front end apart, one of the tubes was broken loose but hadn't been rewelded. Whoever was driving it last in 1982 probably didn't even know it was loose. I found a replacement frame and installed a strengthening kit so I don't have to ever worry about it again.

Agreed, the K members are one of the last things to rot so there are plenty of them out there to be had cheap.

I can not say enough good about my body guy. This is the 2nd car I am doing with him. We have become friends, so that makes things a lot easier. As I'm sure most people can tell you, there really isn't that many GOOD RESTOATION people or shops around that know what they are doing. I do not know that many shops that will let their customers go there work on the car, use their tools, sandblast cabinet...ect.
He is a true OLD school guy (and he is fairly young) He worked with his father as a kid and his father was well known for his old school work, so I guess he gets it from him. You have to see the kind of detail that he puts into his work. I have seen him hand make his own headers that look better than most on the market. The only downside is he takes longer than most to do the same thing, hey, but at least it is done right.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some before and after pictures of the inner rocker. We found some rot after the floor pans came out on them so he repaired them. Still need to do some more on it, but its close.
drivers inner rocker unfixed.jpg
drivers inner rocker fixed.jpg

Here are a few more, Started wire wheeling the firewall, put some filler on the wheel house and the doors are starting to get DA'ed.
deack lid.jpgpass side door.jpgdrivers side rear wheelhouse.jpg

Looking good man, she's coming together nicely! Like elk said it looks like you found a good bodyman

Well the weather has be hell and has slowed me down on working on some things. I would be a lot more ahead by now if it was for this dam snow and cold.
Was up at the shop today to work on restoring a 68 grille that came with the car so I can sell it, blasted a bunch of parts and then primed some of them.
BUT.................The inside and trunk were epoxy primed and then painted the body color and cleared. Here are some pictures. We also dropped off the hood to be blasted.
inside rear painted 2-12-14.jpg trunk painted 2-12-14.jpgfloor pan primed 1-12-14.jpgpass qtr painted 2-12-14.jpg

I love history and I get a kick out of things that I find old dates on. I took apart the 68 grille today and all 4 headlights had a 67 date on them. They could have changed the blubs maybe, but since the markings all look the same on all 4, I would bet they all the original blubs. Cool to me, boring to others. When I took apart the 69 GTX a few years ago 3 of the 4 blubs had a 69 date on them.
67 headlight.jpg

"Wow" I love that color, your car is going to look sweet. Black rump stripe????????????????? Looking awesome

Nice looking color!

- - - Updated - - -

I love history and I get a kick out of things that I find old dates on. I took apart the 68 grille today and all 4 headlights had a 67 date on them. They could have changed the blubs maybe, but since the markings all look the same on all 4, I would bet they all the original blubs. Cool to me, boring to others. When I took apart the 69 GTX a few years ago 3 of the 4 blubs had a 69 date on them.
Not boring at all-- Dating relics is a key part of our auto-archeology!:pocket_decoder:

Great color choice - your car is going to look awesome.

Yes black rump stripe and black vinyl top.

Auto Transport Service
Back