• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner....another one!

Took brother in law and me about three hours of praying to get his in. Sounds weird. But Gojo the hand cleaner. Work good for lube

Working on a few more issues....

1) I have an overcharging issue....almost like the voltage regulator isn't working. The belt is squealing because the alternator is pulling so hard. I've tried 5 different voltage regulators (4 mechanical and 1 electric) and 2 alternators. Still can't correct the issue. Put the battery on a charger last night...it was either a little low or can't hold a charge. We'll change batteries and try again.

2) After about an hour of run time trying to figure out the charging issue, now I have a small static oil leak out of the rear main seal. Wasn't leaking until I shut the motor off. I really hope I don't have to change that seal. Not sure if I can accomplish that while it's in the car.

3) The N96 hood will not shut with the air cleaner on the car. Believe it or not, this is the first time I actually tried putting the two together. It appears the air cleaner and the fiberglass duct don't line up. We're off in the back by about an inch. It's almost like the seal can't stretch far enough to get behind the lid to seal it off. Not sure what we're going to do here.

If anyone has any clue on any of the 3 issues...please let me know. Thanks.

Oh, interior is now in the car...tail lights have been fixed.....exhaust tips mounted.

I'd have the battery,alt,and the regulator checked. just because the parts are new doesn't mean they are good.

the air cleaners....are they both 383 pieces...maybe you have a 440 base?

the air cleaners....are they both 383 pieces...maybe you have a 440 base?
How do I tell? From my understanding, a 440 base will work on a 383 motor....but a 383 base will not work on a 440 motor. Do I have that right? Doesn't the 440 sit a bit higher and therefore have a shorter aircleaner base?

IIRC the 383 base sits higher since the 383 block is lower, and since the 440 is a raised block the 440 base is shorter. Or you could just get a hood like mine and no worries....:moparsmiley:
PTDC0001.JPG

How do I tell? From my understanding, a 440 base will work on a 383 motor....but a 383 base will not work on a 440 motor. Do I have that right? Doesn't the 440 sit a bit higher and therefore have a shorter aircleaner base?

The difference is the height of the engine, as stated. Since a 440 is a taller engine, the 440 base is shorter to accommodate for that. Conversely, the 383 base is taller. So if you have a height issue then you may have an issue with this. However, based on your description it sounds like the seal problem is not a height issue but is offset???

Got a few miles on her last night...

Overcharging issue seems to resolve itself after 5 mins...not sure if it was a weak battery or not.

Swapped out the 383 base for a 440 base....and the hood shuts fine now. Doesn’t really make any sense....but whatever works.

The oil leak seems to be very minimal. Like a drop or 2 overnight. I let the car run in the driveway for about 45 mins and there was no oil. Seems to be only a static leak....but it’s a 50 year old motor. Suppose you’ll have that.

Dealt with 2 different fuel leaks. The first was over tightening of the fuel clamp which cut the line. The second leak was on the fuel tank itself. Original tank.... the vent line tit had broken its weld at some point and I didn’t catch it apparently. Since it’s st the top of the tank, not much fuel came out. Used some gas tank repair epoxy and let it sit for an hour and it seems to be fine.

Oh, and speedometer doesn’t work. I think the cable is broke...it too is original. Lesson learned.

5DC5FC81-C31C-40F8-9A5B-6C8A7169C85B.jpeg 984FC236-12B9-4928-BBD0-E8EE4576D383.png 8F8741F8-BF45-4187-B4EF-C0E1D647F4B7.jpeg

Last edited:
don't sweat the speedo...Ohio has plenty of nice young men that are more than willing to let you know your speed....
car looks great!

Auto Transport Service
Back