• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner....another one!

Didn't like it....so we re-shot it. That seems to be a common theme with the product I got from the body shop. Next week, we're going to re-shoot the engine bay.

My father is an incredible painter. I wish I would have known....I would have let him spray the whole car. He offered to paint it for me when I first got it, but, sadly, I didn't trust him to give me the product I was looking for. He's been painting for 45 years....not cars though. He painted high dollar homes....mostly airless guns. The dude has mad skills. Being forced into this situation I have a new found respect for him. Can't thank him enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 641
Radiator support on the right was shot by the "pro"....hood latch was done by my father. THe exterior body panels are ok....he just half assed all the cut in work. We're making it right.

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 545
Engine bay re-painted. Stripe lines cleaned up. Front valance, hood and hood latch support back on. Test fitted and mounted rear bumper.

IMG_1695.jpg IMG_1699.jpg IMG_1701.jpg

Looking good Cap... glad to hear your able to fix it between you and your dad... I hate hearing stories like the one you had with your painter, but unfortunately I hear them too often (including my own experiences).

Looking good Cap... glad to hear your able to fix it between you and your dad... I hate hearing stories like the one you had with your painter, but unfortunately I hear them too often (including my own experiences).

Thanks! We got it fixed though, pretty determined. Still working thru the hood alignment issues.

Last couple of days we've mounted the front bumper, master cylinder, front brake lines, all latches, hood release, painted and mounted hood insert grills and started polishing stainless steel. I'll get some updated pics soon.

Here are some pics...

Attachments

• Cell phone 5-6-2015 238.jpg
    Cell phone 5-6-2015 238.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 455
  • Cell phone 5-6-2015 228.jpg
    Cell phone 5-6-2015 228.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 453
  • Cell phone 5-6-2015 234.jpg
    Cell phone 5-6-2015 234.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 467
  • Cell phone 5-6-2015 236.jpg
    Cell phone 5-6-2015 236.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 458
By the way, being that this is my first build....I'm open to suggestions if you see anything I'm doing incorrectly. I've got pretty thick skin and you're not going to hurt my feelings. I know there are a lot of purist on this site and I'd love their input. I'm doing my best to learn this hobby (tons of reading and online videos) and could use all the suggestions I can get. I may be too far into the game for every single suggestion, don't take it personally. The "two steps forward, one step back" approach is a good way to get 1000 point show car, but I'd love to have this on the road by next spring/summer.

All the neighbors keep asking me when it's going to be driveable.....I tell them that if I had 3 months off and an bottomless checkbook it would be done. But, such is life, huh?

Thanks in advance for all the support.

Did you know that there are roller bearings on the clutch pedal around the pivot shaft? I didn't....

So, I was tearing down my pedal assembly to get ready for painting today. Lost a bunch of roller bearings. Now what? Are those replaceable?

Found the clutch pedal bearings at Rock auto. Good deal!

Now a few more questions.

Does anyone have a picture of how the brake light switch gets mounted? I didn't remove it...so I'm clueless.

The rubber gromet on the brake push rod....what is it's purpose? I'm assuming it's purpose is secure the push rod against the MC so it doesn't fall out accidently while going 80 mph? I could see accidently getting my foot under the brake pedal and pulling up. Is that correct? If so, does anyone know the proper name for that part? I found one at Jim's Auto....but his parts are crazy expensive. Dude want's like $30 for a small peice of rubber. Can't find it anywhere else unless I get some help here. So, I may be forced to pay that.

Thanks

Wish I could help with the grommet but I went aftermarket on the brakes so no clue either but I just wanted to say NICE WORK, SHE'S LOOKING PRETTY SWEET.

Had the last 3 days off....and feel like I accomplished nothing.

Monday, went to Napa to order all the rear brake parts. Went home to add some lighting in the garage....sick of not being able to see anything. Went back to Napa to pick up the parts around 3:30. Didn't even open the packages...had to pick up kids from school and blah blah blah.

Tuesday, pulled off the drums and backing plates. Found overspray on the leaf springs and 8 3/4. Dad repainted those while I cleaned and painted brake parts. Open the boxes around 11:30 AM to start assembly on the brakes....only to find they were 10 inch shoes. Back to Napa to re-order. Get parts Tuesday afternoon on the 3:30 delivery. Back to the house to start over again. Wheel cylinder threads didn't fit the bolts that I took off the car. Back to the hardware store for new bolts. Back home and realized the self adjuster cables were for 10 inch also...ugh. Disassemble everything, backing plates back on....car back in the garage. Back to Napa to order the correct self adjusting cable.

Wednesday, pick up correct parts at 10 am. Finally, started assembly....only to realize the hardware kits weren't correct either. The self adjuster spring was the short one (that attaches to the adjuster) and not the longer one (Primary to secondary shoe) required. I left everything assembled this time....I can add that this weekend.

So, still waiting on e-brake cable and self adjuster springs.

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 389
Hey Cap my 69RR is at a good friends shop on Patterson road in Pataskala getting ready to be painted, would love to see yours sometime!

Hey Cap my 69RR is at a good friends shop on Patterson road in Pataskala getting ready to be painted, would love to see yours sometime!

Absolutely....I'll be home this week Wednesday Thursday and Friday. Home most evenings as well.

I'd like to see yours too. Send me a PM when you're out this way.

So....I've been a little busy. Can't believe it's been over a year since I've last posted. I try to check back in a bit more often.

IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1348.JPG IMG_1351.JPG IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1371.JPG IMG_1372.JPG IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1657.JPG

Nice progress - I bet you are happy about having the drive train back in the car! Thanks for checking back in with us.

Auto Transport Service
Back