• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner facelift

old googly eyes did some heavy snow bashing to clear off my future shop site.

IMG_4290_zps3b5d449f.jpg

Get that ground thawed out so I can start building.

I have roughly a 50' by 100' spot cleared off here, it sure doesn't look like it in this picture though. I need to clear a bit more off the right side of the photo. But that's basically the spot for the new shop.

IMG_5105_zps4f2de26d.jpg

I received the piece of paper that I traded the car for yesterday. Brought said paper to the bank, it will go towards my new shop.

A means to build many a more mopar along with other... lesser brands. lol.

Looking good Dave. I hope youre very successful. Good to see that Ford plow truck is still employed. Of course im sure your ready to stop plowing.

Ground should be thawed by June I'd say. I hear 4-5 feet of frost.
How big is the new shop going to be?

Tentative plans are for 50x80, 14' ceiling.

I wouldn't doubt that frost estimate or that thaw timeline. Doing everything I can to speed that up (short of heat blankets) and I'm not opposed to such measures. lol.

I sent the buyer of the car a link to this build thread, hopefully he will enjoy it.

Sounds like a good size, but they can never be big enough.

Getting an early start on your plans I see. Are you going to have a concrete floor? I've seen other members mention something about a moisture barrier. If you're going to working in the winter, you know you're going to need a good heating system. Maybe i'm just getting ahead of you.

Here's something I'm not too happy with, the AMD trunk extensions don't come even close to reaching the wheel opening lip or the bottom edge of the quarter.

102_5878.jpg

102_5879.jpg

These 2 tabs could reach but that's all I got for now.

102_5881.jpg

How did you solved this problem, Dave? I feel like this is a common deal with aftermarket parts.

I bent the lower trunk ext lip down to reach the bottom of the quarter So I could get weld contact approximately every 3".

it was frustrating and I wish I would have mocked it all up better so I could have caught it before the piece was welded in. In the end I was satisfied with this area but I will be mocking things up for fit better in the future. I had no such problems with trunk floor extensions on a 68 coronet I did a few years ago, different brand.

The new owner of this car is finally picking it up this week (Saturday)

Dave thats one thing I vowed to do was screw, rivet or tack everything together once before final welding. Hope to save myself any surprises.

I was basically complacent I guess, because I had just done the same work on another similar b-body not long before this one. So I fully expected everything to line up.

Oh, on a different subject, the shop size has been reduced to 50' x 60', 12' side wall. After drawing things many different times, it's what we settled on for the most efficient use of space. Less space to heat in the winter and yet big enough to do what I want to do.

cool story. what ever happened with the Super Bee you were looking at?

It's not a really bad car, but it needed a little more than I wanted to put into one right now.

Dave, that was the coolest video that has ever been posted on this site. It's really great how 2 people who didn't know each other came to meet because of 1 car and became good friends.

That was a great video and story. Kudos to you Dave. That was great thing you did. Enjoy the next ride you get.

Love it and its great to see something like this take place, i can only imagine how i would feel with the same opportunity! Thanks for the video Dave!

Nice story! I'm curious which car/project you're going to purchase next, Dave...

Auto Transport Service
Back