• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner Spring Special Question

CoronetRTguy

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
Okay so I found another one that I'm in talks with and about. I have decode the fender tag and I will post it here.

RII V1X V68 END
A14 A87 M2 M25 M31 N85
R4 R4 H2X X9 701 384872
E63 D21 RM21 19G302188

The car has been painted orange and I think it needs floor pans and maybe some other welding. I dont know why they ever painted it before doing the inside panels of the car.

But here is my question. The A14 means spring special. How rare is that?

The other question is I know its a black vinyl top but what is the V68 code?

I think it means stripe delete would that mean down the side of the car or the hood?

I have no clue why they would take an R4 and make it an orange car, man R4 code is an awesome color on the 69s.

I'm not a big fan of the 69 model cars but I do like the options on this one. So if anyone can decode the car the more and tell me more info that would be great.

Thanks everyone.

Spring special was simply a package deal tied to an effort to move more iron, cars that were built to the special configuration versus any other specific order. They were then blown out to the dealers. Really created what today for us is the typical 69 Road Runner.

Somewhere around 20% of the 69's were built this way.

An interesting bit of info about the car for sure, someone here or on one of the other forums can tell you exactly what the package contained. I know it was the hood stripes and a few other items such as wheels. However, worth maybe $1.00 in added value, they built a lot of them.

Found it. Spring Special consisted of Vinyl roof, magnum road wheels, Belt moldings, black hood paint, longitudinal stripe ( pin stripe), Sure grip rear end and different F70 tires.

The V code you're asking about deleted the pinstripe.

Found it. Spring Special consisted of Vinyl roof, magnum road wheels, Belt moldings, black hood paint, longitudinal stripe ( pin stripe), Sure grip rear end and different F70 tires.

The V code you're asking about deleted the pinstripe.

Ok thank you, I wasnt sure if it meant that the hood treatement was deleted or the pin stripping or both.

That helped me I'm waiting to hear back on the car and then try to figure it out if I can work out a deal or not.

Somewhere around 20% of the 69's were built this way.

A14 coupes would be about 6-7% of US sold coupe production.
A14 HTs would be about 11-12% of US sold HT production.
Spring Special convertibles was about 5-6% of US sold convertible production.

A14 coupes would be about 6-7% of US sold coupe production.
A14 HTs would be about 11-12% of US sold HT production.
Spring Special convertibles was about 5-6% of US sold convertible production.

OK, 10% average! Still a lot!

So the '69 RR i just picked up is an A14 spring special also. Mine is R4, R4, Black Vinyl Top, White longitudinal (pin) stripes, Road Wheels?

Unfortunately it is now blue, no vinyl top, mag wheels, junk fiberglass hood instead of air grabber and 4 spd. instead of console automatic. But it's straight!

What are the road wheels? and the black hood paint, is that the whole hood or the stripes on the hood?

So the '69 RR i just picked up is an A14 spring special also. Mine is R4, R4, Black Vinyl Top, White longitudinal (pin) stripes, Road Wheels?

Unfortunately it is now blue, no vinyl top, mag wheels, junk fiberglass hood instead of air grabber and 4 spd. instead of console automatic. But it's straight!

What are the road wheels? and the black hood paint, is that the whole hood or the stripes on the hood?

I believe the road wheels are the magnum 500 wheels. The black hood paint is the two big stripes that are blacked out on the hood.

Sounds like you have a great looking car that needs to be red again!!! I bet that interior would look very sharp and the pin stripe down the side as well.

Post pics and fender tag very awesome car man.

Was the hood always a flat black or did they do it in a gloss as well? I think that might be one of the reason the 69s are not my favorite.

I dont like flat black hoods or stripes on a car. I guess now adays clearing them would help last longer.

I believe the road wheels are the magnum 500 wheels. The black hood paint is the two big stripes that are blacked out on the hood.

Sounds like you have a great looking car that needs to be red again!!! I bet that interior would look very sharp and the pin stripe down the side as well.

Post pics and fender tag very awesome car man.

Thanks CoronetRTguy. Deciphering the fender tag and broadcst sheet is a real experience. Here is the fender tag:
RR fender tag2.jpg

I'm really interested in getting back to the R4 red with the black vinyl top. It's one of my favorite color combos. I also found out yesterday that the engine is actually a 65' 383. Another challenge will be to find the airgrabber hood. This is how it looks currently:
RR left front 1.jpg
RR inner trunk 1.jpg

This is what it is supposed to look like except with the Magnum 500 wheels:
red spring addition.jpg

I don't know about the white stripes, and I don't think the black hood stripes go with the black top. I think it would look good with Chrysler cop wheels in body color and a small cap too.

This is what it is supposed to look like except with the Magnum 500 wheels:
View attachment 72610

I don't know about the white stripes, and I don't think the black hood stripes go with the black top. I think it would look good with Chrysler cop wheels in body color and a small cap too.

I love cop car wheels on any muscle car it just make them look mean.

I kind of like the white stripe its different and one that I'm sure we dont see much of with that color combo.

Your Road Runner is awesome man! Check with AMD on the hood I think they have them now.....I think.

Have you decoded the car all the way? The build sheets I love them I love decoding them as it tells you so much about the car.

Had a build sheet in my 70 Challenger R/T it was a dealer ordered car with a 383, 3spd and if I remember right it was ordered with no power stearing. B5 on B5 black vinyl top. I think it was a stripe delete car as well. It was an od car from what I remember. One of 365 built in color combo.

Was the hood always a flat black or did they do it in a gloss as well? I think that might be one of the reason the 69s are not my favorite.

I dont like flat black hoods or stripes on a car. I guess now adays clearing them would help last longer.

It's not quite a flat finish, there is a little bit of depth and gloss to it. If done well, easy to maintain with simply a wet towel and wash as needed. On Moparts as well as possibly the Lift Off Hood forums I am sure there are descriptions regarding how to apply correctly.

My car dosent have the hood stripes.I think it would be to much with the black vinyl top.r6 scorch red.

Thanks CoronetRTguy. Deciphering the fender tag and broadcst sheet is a real experience. Here is the fender tag:
View attachment 72602

I'm really interested in getting back to the R4 red with the black vinyl top. It's one of my favorite color combos. I also found out yesterday that the engine is actually a 65' 383. Another challenge will be to find the airgrabber hood. This is how it looks currently:
View attachment 72603
View attachment 72604

Nice looking bird. Where in SW Washington are you located? I'm just down I5 in Tigard,Or.
You mentioned you were looking for an air grabber hood for it, where have you been looking?
I've seen a couple recently.

goose69, I'm in Longview, about 45 miles N. of Portland. I've only been looking on CL and parts places for the hood so far. I'd be happy if I could find a complete hood (w/air grabber parts) locally (within 50-100 miles) for a decent price. The fiberglass hood is absolute junk but will keep the rain out of the carb. I need to email Wildcat and see if they have anything.

goose69, I'm in Longview, about 45 miles N. of Portland. I've only been looking on CL and parts places for the hood so far. I'd be happy if I could find a complete hood (w/air grabber parts) locally (within 50-100 miles) for a decent price. The fiberglass hood is absolute junk but will keep the rain out of the carb. I need to email Wildcat and see if they have anything.

AMD has the hood in their parts catalog. I like Wildcat those guys are up front and honest and the part ahs always been better then stated when I got it.

Sorry to dig up old thread, I posted something earlier about this on another topic before I found this one. Appears I also have a A14 option car. It has everything this listed except the stripe. No stripe was applied after it was painted.

IMG_1776.jpg

View attachment 151038

Auto Transport Service
Back