• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Plymouth GTX Wheel & Tire Upgrade to 15 Inch

MoparHonda

Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Blew a tire on the interstate last Saturday. Since I've got to get four new tires, I thought I'd get some aftermarket 15 inch wheels.

I was thinking of 15X7 wheels with 225/70 tires? I'm not looking for a really 'aggressive' look.

Can anyone suggest a wheel? I looked at Crager, Ansen, etc. Anyone have any wheels for sale?

I put Cooper Cobra tires on Wheel Vintiques Ralleye Wheels ; fronts 235/60-15 on 15x7 rims,
rears 255/60-15 on 15x8 rims. This went on my 70 Satellite droptop (same car as 70 GTX) so fitment is fine. Changed the whole feel and handling of the car and gave it a better look/stance. Got the rims from Summit, tires from DiscountTireDirect. Best prices I found.

IMG_5853.JPG

My favs in order:

Cragar S/Ss.
Aluminum slots with the slots painted body color.
Cragar Street Super Tricks.

My favorite wheel of all time is any variety of american racing torque thrust, and apparently lots of other people like them too. One piece and two piece, torque thrust original, ttd, tt2.
This is not an endorsement, because i have never dealt with them personally, but Wheels For Less has 15x7 torquethrust for $106 ea, caps and lugs included free, and free shipping.
The grey look great on anything, but they have polished or chromed too.

I think the 15" wheels look much better than the 14".. I don't know why they used 14" in the first place... My opinion, cost more, but get chrome spokes instead of polished aluminum. Less maintenance..........................MO

IMG_20180523_182312672_HDR.jpg IMG_0167.JPG

I put Cooper Cobra tires on Wheel Vintiques Ralleye Wheels ; fronts 235/60-15 on 15x7 rims,
rears 255/60-15 on 15x8 rims. This went on my 70 Satellite droptop (same car as 70 GTX) so fitment is fine. Changed the whole feel and handling of the car and gave it a better look/stance. Got the rims from Summit, tires from DiscountTireDirect. Best prices I found.

View attachment 970351
What trim rings are you using on the 15 x 8 wheels?

Thank you, all.

Would love to get a convertible from that era, NJRR, I have a '63 Dodge convertible.

I'll look at all the wheels you all have suggested. I was hoping someone would have some used ones; my car is just a nice driver, it does not need 100% perfect new wheels.

I did notice that Summit had attractive prices.

On my '70 GTX, I use BFG TA's black out P275-60-R15 on all corners with Mopar 15" Rally wheels. I've not any clearance issues...front end set at near max height per FSM. Check my photo garage for pixes.
BOB RENTON

Got some 15 inch Torq-Thrust wheels.

I'm thinking of putting on P215/75-R15 tires. I figure a 75 tire will give me fewer RPMS on the interstate. Has anyone tried a 75 tire on a b-body? I'm concerned about clearance on the front wheels when turning and possibly hitting a bump when the wheels are turned.

I have a pair of 235/75x15 for the front of my 62, on a seven inch rim. I haven't driven it much yet, so I don't know how well they work as a daily driver, they were bought for their height, for the dragstrip . The only chance they have of working is because of the absurdly long front wheelwell. I doubt they would work on my 69 runner.
I have had 235/60x15 on the front of my runner, they worked fine on a factory 6" steel. There is room for bigger on the rear.
If you want the same size front and rear, you could use anything from 215/70x15 to 235/60x15 with no problems.
Just curious, what is the backspace on your torqthrusts?

Thank you 33Imp, the backspace is 3.70 inches, according to TireTack, which is where I bought them. I measured it on the bench, the 3.70 figure seems correct.

(Tire Rack's website says the offset is negative 6 MM, the box says negative 5.1 MM. Tire Rack says this will fit the '70 Plymouth GTX.)

I don't have tires yet, but the wheels mount to the hubs on the front with no apparent problems. They provided the lug nuts, but the ones they provided are all standard right thread. I need to replace the left hand threaded studs on the left side of the car with standard right thread studs.

Auto Transport Service
Back