• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 RR headlight switch question

Lucky Lar

Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
I pulled out my headlight switch (original) after checking the fuse
Because the tail lights & dash lights stopped working
I Was able to take it apart, clean it up,
put it back together, without breaking something (amazing)
now it works again (amazing X 2)
I noticed that there is a set of contact points inside of the switch
Can somebody tell me what these points do & how they work?
I cleaned the contacts just like a set of ignition points, not sure if that fixed my problem or just cleaning up the other electrical connections fixed it ???
Any electrical experts out there that know what these points do & how they work?
just want to learn something new to me
Thanks Larry

The contacts are for the dash and dome lights. You should also see the resistor which is what the dash lights power goes through to dim them by turning the knob. At the end of turning it the dash lights will be full bright and when you click the switch by turning it all the way the contacts will turn the dome light on. Some model cars (I cant remember which) would also turn the dome light out when the car door is open if you turned the switch knob in the other direction all the way. As that would dim the dash light to not work but it turned the dome light out when you have the drivers door open so you can clean your car with the divers door open and not run the bsttery down since that option turns the dome light off with the doors open. Hope that helps some. Ron

The contacts are for the dash and dome lights. You should also see the resistor which is what the dash lights power goes through to dim them by turning the knob. At the end of turning it the dash lights will be full bright and when you click the switch by turning it all the way the contacts will turn the dome light on. Some model cars (I cant remember which) would also turn the dome light out when the car door is open if you turned the switch knob in the other direction all the way. As that would dim the dash light to not work but it turned the dome light out when you have the drivers door open so you can clean your car with the divers door open and not run the bsttery down since that option turns the dome light off with the doors open. Hope that helps some. Ron

I was talking about inside the 3 position rocker switch not the dimmer wheel switch.
Inside the rocker switch is a set of points, you can see them in the attached picture
the points are just below the copper circle
I would like to know what they do & how it works
not sure why or how they would open or close???View attachment 562295

Ah ok that don't use the headlite switch that has the knob you pull out does it ? Ron

No it is a rocker type switch, I found out that it is a circuit breaker, when it gets hot the points open up. thanks to all for all the answers

No it is a rocker type switch, I found out that it is a circuit breaker, when it gets hot the points open up. thanks to all for all the answers

Yes I am sorry as I did not realize it was that type switch. Its my fault as I forgot 70 Roadrunners have that style switch as I was referring to the headlite switch where you pull the knob out. Sorry about that. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back