• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 340 Road Runner Revival

Body work has slowed a bit. Due to the approaching holidays.

Tried my hand at cleaning up my tired and flaky plastic bits. Low pressure with fine walnut shells did a great job on my chalky A pillar covers. They’ll need prep and paint but I’m pleased.

View attachment 1198238 View attachment 1198239
I haven't heard of that technique, but it sounds like a really good idea! Results look great!

I haven't heard of that technique, but it sounds like a really good idea! Results look great!

Believe it or not, I actually first heard about it on Graveyard Cars. Then I asked around a few other folks who said they had good luck with it, so I gave it a whirl.

They lost a little of the texture but I might try some SEM texture spray before repainting the right color.

Body work has slowed a bit. Due to the approaching holidays.

Tried my hand at cleaning up my tired and flaky plastic bits. Low pressure with fine walnut shells did a great job on my chalky A pillar covers. They’ll need prep and paint but I’m pleased.

View attachment 1198238 View attachment 1198239
Wow never thought of cleaning them like that. Going to give that a try on my wife’s elcamino interior pieces.

Something is happening today!!!!

4F2B459A-B879-4934-8D33-A93A4EFDFC36.jpeg

Coming home today. Much more work to be done but happy to have the rot gone.

CF8A7051-06C7-48B9-8C6B-EA10C2CA8484.jpeg
A524B0DB-0B48-4094-913F-3B6B6C5C11AF.jpeg
A8E6771E-9172-43BF-A0DD-4AFA5EC624E9.jpeg
497EB879-CDB9-43E5-9BDD-B95D65A98A7F.jpeg

Looks great. Nice fast turnaround when you hire a real professional and the body is solid to begin with.

A little hand rechroming on the dash bezel….not as good as original but it’ll work for a cruiser.

4B6FA8E1-9793-4079-A7E3-3F75B5371B31.jpeg

Paint looks great!! Your dash bezel looks good too. What color is the interior?

Had a good time with my two sons last night. Got the hood off and started tackling the front/rear glass trim. Back glass channel looks great.

Being a vinyl top car, there is rust up high on the driver’s side. Lower passenger corner is very rusted but the whole lower front section looks/feels solid. Vacuumed inside the air intake/cowl area and it seems good too.

View attachment 1086348 View attachment 1086349 View attachment 1086350 View attachment 1086351
View attachment 1086352

Now for the disappointing part. It appears the car took a hit in the passenger door and the impact pushed the pillar in. The rocker panel is buckled a bit and the door doesn’t really line up with the fender. Missed that in the dark shop while I was checking it out before I bought it. It was partially hidden under the rocker panel covers too.

View attachment 1086354 View attachment 1086355

I was ready for rust and dinged up panels but having the structure of the car tweaked might make this project beyond my means. Wish I had caught it before I hauled it home.

I thought this was going to be the end of the thread! Glad it all worked out.

Looking great :thumbsup:

Body/paint guy is here hitting some spots while I reassembled the cleaned up gauge cluster/bezel.

310A43A9-C12A-49E7-8520-18369DA5AC85.jpeg
C89C4F4B-67A1-4207-850D-716BF7CD2B6D.jpeg

In the photo of the finished gauge cluster - it looks darker than the previous photo of it, did you put something on it to darken it up?

Noob dealing with the 71’s. Why does my cluster have a clock and yours doesn’t. Where your fuel gauge is I have a big clock?
There were options for the second large gauge opening. You could get a tach or a clock in that opening, and if you did, the fuel and oil pressure were doubled up in the two small gauges.

In the photo of the finished gauge cluster - it looks darker than the previous photo of it, did you put something on it to darken it up?

Yup, I cleaned it well with dish soap and then hit it with a detailing cleaner/dressing.

Here’s what I used. It brought the grain back really well.

2F100EB8-9575-458E-925E-BE9CDC319694.jpeg

No sleep for you until the Runner is completely assembled!

I've been chipping away at little details. Got my blaster dialed in and started stripping the dash frame and components.

Trying to find something close to the original low gloss blue for the dash. I was tempted to just change to black because it's easier.

The original Chrysler color code for the dash is AB62GB7 but none of the paint supply places I called could do that. My body guy said I could try using GB7 base coat with the metallic flake removed and finish with a low gloss clear.

Has anyone else who had a non-black interior tried that with the other colors?

Auto Transport Service
Back