• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 340 Road Runner Revival

Proof of concept testing. Refinishing 50 year old scuffed, beat up, sun damaged, and chalky interior panels. Starting on the back ones so any mistakes won’t show as bad (like when they would make apprentice plasterers start in the closets of a home lol).

Blasted with walnut media at 30 PSI, cleaned and scrubbed with degreaser and green scrubbing pad. Dried, wiped down with alcohol, and then applied SEM texture coating to bring some texture back. Still need to knock it down with sandpaper/gray scrubbing pad and then paint the correct color blue, but it’s looking good so far…for a cruiser.
1C0CDCCB-A233-4140-90C6-C4D0D0A78B69.jpeg
E9CC0815-14AB-4B5C-AC29-7CBC4ADF96AE.jpeg

Proof of concept testing. Refinishing 50 year old scuffed, beat up, sun damaged, and chalky interior panels. Starting on the back ones so any mistakes won’t show as bad (like when they would make apprentice plasterers start in the closets of a home lol).

Blasted with walnut media at 30 PSI, cleaned and scrubbed with degreaser and green scrubbing pad. Dried, wiped down with alcohol, and then applied SEM texture coating to bring some texture back. Still need to knock it down with sandpaper/gray scrubbing pad and then paint the correct color blue, but it’s looking good so far…for a cruiser.
View attachment 1287259 View attachment 1287260
Wow, what a great idea and process! I'd like to see a close up of the blue finished product to see what the surface turned out like. And good for you for keeping it blue.

Wow, what a great idea and process! I'd like to see a close up of the blue finished product to see what the surface turned out like. And good for you for keeping it blue.

I’ll definitely get some pics when I got that done. I can already tell it won’t look factory, but not much of those rear panels show. My lower door panels aren’t chalky so I’ll still have the factory grain.

I was sooo tempted to just go black but I’ll be happier with original-ish blue.

That will be one sweet ride when u get it done. A guy I knew bought a 71 383 car brand new. He sold it 20 years ago to the day he bought it. Regrets selling it to this day. Kim

I’m kind of a purist. I’m bringing it back the way it was born lol. Even a slightly warmed over 340 will be more than enough power for a cruiser (and more than many 383s at that).

Not going to be super particular about small details but the basics will stay the same.

I'd suggest going with a internally balanced 4" cast crank stroker kit from SCAT.

• SCAT cast crank, good to 500 HP.
  • It comes balanced, so you save $ for balancing costs.
  • The rods are new w/arp bolts, so you don't have to pay the machine shop to resize them after they put in new bolts. And you don't have to pay extra for bolts
  • The crank is new, so you don't have to pay to turn your old one.
  • The rods and pistons are modern design so they are lighter and stronger. Helps it rev
You will just pay you machine shop to clean, bore, hone, and deck block. And depending on your tool and experience you may pay them to install: cam bearings, intermediate bearing, freeze plugs & hardware

Then assemble short block yourself.

Pick a cam in 225-230 @ 0.050 range with 110 or 112 centerline depending on tweaks to exhaust, minor head work, intake. Can use stock rockers and everything else visually stock.

And you'll make more HP/TQ than a stock 1971 440 magnum. All the while looking completely like a stock 71 340 on the outside

Last edited:
Good weather today. Had some time before family commitments. Repainted dash and components with new batch from Chas at 8774Paint1. Much happier.

Glad to be moving forward.
AF65ACA3-8A4B-415A-A975-A9CC3D9C8B19.jpeg
A435A6DA-2E10-4DE3-8957-69B7E0B5D435.jpeg

And to think , I had to throw my white rear panels and upper sail panels in the trash

The texture in spots , well let’s say it was like patches of areas where missing

Found some mint perfect OEM 71 stuff In black at Mopars In The Park , and SEM Super White later

Anyways , interesting product - Didn’t even know they made it

https://www.semproducts.com/product/texture-coating/39853#product-details

Finally got around to recoloring the dash pad/cap. First job with a spray gun too! Good match with metal dash frame components.

83C5E40C-13AF-4522-884B-27FD518CDF25.jpeg
C542C9BA-55D8-4453-BD70-3216A10CA48F.jpeg
38718B90-53FB-4F46-9A3F-3FBE04C3E8B6.jpeg

Still a little raw in some spots so decided not to mount the pad tonight…but my youngest helped me install the passenger vent panel with the RR emblems…

F0FC72D1-DCF9-4889-AE0C-591638685552.jpeg

Many months in the making but finally got the bulk of the dash back together.

Old:
65202C3C-FD06-4732-9C0C-8E842CBB5423.jpeg
202373E9-848C-4A63-899B-8B6367F789C0.jpeg

New:
C75CC25B-B578-4509-9A7F-4E38E63AB251.jpeg
55EA111F-0A01-4BF4-AE57-3144C543E3FB.jpeg
99A9F33A-1BCF-4FF0-9817-C7ECD7E0D001.jpeg

@It’s just me, I’m curious what you disagree with. Help a brother out!
Thanks for calling me out on that! The “x” button is right where my thumb is when I scroll. Not the first Time I accidentally pushed the button. I Undisagreed, if that’s a real word.

Your dash looks awesome! I was actually zooming in on the pictures so I can make myself a dash stand just like yours this weekend.

Thanks for calling me out on that! The “x” button is right where my thumb is when I scroll. Not the first Time I accidentally pushed the button. I Undisagreed, if that’s a real word.

Your dash looks awesome! I was actually zooming in on the pictures so I can make myself a dash stand just like yours this weekend.
Phew, I thought maybe you spotted some fatal error lol.

Started with a 4 wheel furniture dolly for a base, then a piece of plywood laid over it with 4x4s and brackets for the uprights. Kind of just threw it together with scrap but it worked!

Phew, I thought maybe you spotted some fatal error lol.

Started with a 4 wheel furniture dolly for a base, then a piece of plywood laid over it with 4x4s and brackets for the uprights. Kind of just threw it together with scrap but it worked!
That my plan too. Thanks for the tip. I have all of those laying around. Did you just put in two lag bolts to hold the frame in place?

That my plan too. Thanks for the tip. I have all of those laying around. Did you just put in two lag bolts to hold the frame in

I lagged the plywood to the dolly and then screwed the 4x4 to the plywood. A continuous 4x4 along the bottom would be better but I just had the 2 scrap pieces and tacked them together. Had two leftover angle brackets to secure the uprights.

Last edited:
Chipping away. It’s been a brutal summer here with temps over 100. Kills your motivation LOL.

Blacked out the front end this past weekend. Spent some time before that getting some sealer underneath where the new floor pans meet the rails.

0AA2F9B1-EF66-47A6-96E9-72A4A5FE177E.jpeg
2B4A5818-2C07-45F1-B36C-61BC0D2FC213.jpeg
B4AC170D-057B-4659-AA64-9E1F2974BC3D.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back