• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 400 superblock 3164230

adam83

Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know which cars/trucks got the 400 block (4164230) with the thick main webs? I have a 400 in my 72 newport with this casting number, and I know this is the casting number for the strongest 400's ever built, but I also know that not all of these castings got the thick main webs. Is there a way to id the super block without taking the oil pan off? (i will eventually but am swamped in other projects right now)

400 block

If you have the 230 block, my guess is that it has the thick main webs. But far as I know, the only way to know 4 sure is to pull the oil pan and have a look.

What's a superblock?
Some of the early 400s had real thick castings in the main web support area. 440 Source has a site where they show pics and measurements of the 383, 400, and 440 block. Very interesting. Some blocks have way more thickness/strength in the main webs. The first 400 blocks had the most. Just type in 440 source, and go to the everything you ever wanted to know about blocks section. Very informative.

Yeah I know. But they are not superblocks. It's really a myth. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Haha I just coined that term from a book. I like it. Easier to say than 3164230 block and 230 block

230 blocks cast before 10/18/71 are the thicker blocks.
There you go, Adam 83. What date was your block cast? Should be on the passenger side, cast into the block above the pan rail. I think the reason they call them super blocks is because of the huge amount of extra casting material around the main bearing journals, as you can see if you look at the pictures. Has to be stronger than the early 383 main bearing supports. If I could have found one, I would have used it for my 451 build. I bought 3-400 engines, and none were the 230 block. They are hard to find.

Auto Transport Service
Back