• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger 383 HemiOrange Restoration

Azhrael

Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm new on this forum, and this is my first restoration thread.
This Charger is actually after restoration so I will post some pictures of the process.
He was restored by our team, RodZ Factory, and the whole process took around 2 years because we've got other our projects to work on at the same time.

I've bought him from eBay and bring to Poland in April 2008.
From factory it came as 1971 Dodge Charger baseline, blue with 318 and AT.
Column shifter, bench seat, no p/s p/b a/c and any other accessories just baseline.
I bought is as an incomplete car, many parts missing, because the last owner tried to do a drag car from this one,
but thanks to that it already has got 383HP picked up from Coronet'70 with the whole drive-line, 727AT and 8 3/4 rear end.

That's how it looked just before restoration process took place.

Charger-Resto-01.jpg

First steps done, car almost disassembled and put on a carrier for body work and painting.

Charger-Resto-02.jpg

Charger-Resto-02x.jpg

Body was sandblasted, and it was very solid, with little body work needed.

Charger-Resto-03.jpg

The body preparation process took almost a year, there were some delays because of having to spend time on other projects.
After a few months it started to look better every day.

Charger-Resto-04.jpg

Charger-Resto-05.jpg

Charger-Resto-06.jpg

Charger-Resto-07.jpg

Then the time of painting came. I've chosen HemiOrange as the ultimate high impact painting for my first B-Body,
my opinion of course but after I saw it, I knew it's going to be badass.
We don't have many MuscleCars here in Poland and not so much more any other old American classics,
and the decision was made mostly by looking at the pictures from the States.
I've made decision that we're going to put a vinyl roof on it so we haven't painted roof at the same time as body.
And the never ending search for the complete and good looking set of vinyl roof molding began!
It took a few months to find one, most of the time it was waiting for the next package from States.

Charger-Resto-08.jpg

Charger-Resto-09.jpg

Assembly of the car took more time than we even could have dreamed of.
It really occured to us how many parts are missing when we started to put
the whole puzzle into a car, and the eBay researching started all over.
I bought many new parts, but some of them, mostly the rare ones had to be found used
and that was a PITA for one here in Poland.

Charger-Resto-10.jpg

Charger-Resto-11.jpg

Charger-Resto-12.jpg

Charger-Resto-13.jpg

Charger-Resto-14.jpg

Engine was rebuilt and slightly modded with many new parts.
New bigger camshaft was installed (274/286 488/491) with a Holley 4160 750cfm carb.
Later the MoparPerformance ignition was also installed.

Charger-Resto-15.jpg

Charger-Resto-16.jpg

Car at this stage is almost finished, need a few touches and some parts here and there.
But he's driving like a hell right now, took a trip to Swedish PowerBigMeet 2011,
and he went there and back without any problems. Here is one picture from this trip.

Charger-PBM.jpg

And some other pictures of his actual state.

Charger-01.jpg

Charger-New-01.jpg

Charger-New-02.jpg

Thx for reading!

Hi Azhrael! Welcome to the site, another Mopar-guy from Europe.

Nice looking Charger, enjoy it.

I have also been in Västerås,many times lots and lots of cars. Around 10.000 Number one car happening/cruise in Europe.

How is the laws in Poland, can you build car anyway you want?

Welcome very nice job we are building a 73 charger now [won't be that nice],i'm always impressed by the excellent work that comes out of overseas areas you fellas are very good at restorations, every one i see is an insperation to me if ya'll can do that kind of work in a location where you have to order and wait for every little thing my projects should be easy.

Thx for the comments!

I have also been in Västerås,many times lots and lots of cars. Around 10.000 Number one car happening/cruise in Europe.

How is the laws in Poland, can you build car anyway you want?

I'm at PowerBigMeet every year since '09, that's not long but hopefully will be going there many more times.
This year we're also going to Vasteras and if you see an orange charger with polish plates, then it would have to be us.

To answer your second questions, we can't build cars as we want, there are some laws that are hard for american cars here,
as for example, we can't have red turn signals on the rear. We could register the car as a history vehicle and then it could stay
the way it is but then it has to be mostly original, so you could not do some of the mods, etc.

Here's the video of how the car sounds .. movie is from May last year, the car was still being assembled and lights we're not hooked up yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKV4P2hSC0

Looks great. Not used to seeing a lic. plate like that on a charger, I like it.

Nice ride. Really enjoyed the video. Sounds good too.

The car turned out great looking. The picture from your trip really shows the good looking stance of the car. nose down and rear slightly up.

Nice ride! And, over in Poland too! Cool! I was in Germany for 5 yrs and there's a lot of MOPARS over there! The Red turn signal lenses we have here in the USA is maddening! At least for me being used to the Orange turn signal lenses, going back to Red, and, having the turn signal placed basically anywhere also is maddening! I'm sure you can remove the lenses, and surgically remove the lenses, carefully cut out the red, and, find some like plastic, and plastic weld them in place, thus pass the vehicle tests? At any rate, super nice job!

Auto Transport Service
Back