• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger Steering Wheel Ignition Key Lock Cylinder Removal

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
I put pins in both holes on this thing and I can’t find any more holes to put the pin in any clue on how to get this out except for drilling or knocking it out?

How do I find the magic part to push on to get it to release and come out of the hole in reusable form?

Arrows are where I’ve attempted with no luck.

A big thank you for the help!
IMG_7172.jpeg

Key in, and then what? When I put the key in, a little leg on the bottom of the cylinder comes out.

The hole with the big arrow is the one. Key in, I believe you have to turn the key a little to get it in the correct position to push the release button. The red circle below is the leg you see, the green circle is the release button you are after.

IMG_5712.jpeg

IMG_5713.jpeg

Figured it out with the service manual and a little tapping to get the pin down (decades make everything stick). Insert key and rotate to the lock position, then remove key, small screwdriver in hole (tap on it a bit), and remove cylinder!

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7184.jpeg
IMG_7182.jpeg
IMG_7185.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back