• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 GTX Rocker Moulding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate someone stepping up to repop these, but my guess is they didn't really even think about how they would be mounted. If they had, they'd have made the back side the same as the originals.

Just an update - I have yet to install these. One big difference is the back of these moldings are flat and do not accommodate any form of retainer clip. I am still trying to figure out how to best mount these without regular road vibration causing the screws to back out of the holes. I may take it to a few body shops to see what they can do. Still love the look of these, just wish they would have provided mounting instructions since they are not 100% accurate to the originals.
I think some 3M molding/body kit tape would be just fine. It's meant to hold body molding/cladding onto your car.

Maybe you could take them to a machinist and have them mill some areas in to accept a clip that's readily available...

Last edited:
I used Nutserts over ten years ago, No molding tape. I used Stainless M5 screws,(metric was available to me back then). Need metric Allen wrench for Anti Theft !

Just another update on the quality of the moldings. I have dropped mine off to be powder coated as the argent paint is flaking off. The paint isnt applied very well and would not stand up to road wear. I still think the quality of the molding is good, but figure in to overall cost that you will have to address the poor quality paint job.

20180928_091128.jpg

Just another update on the quality of the moldings. I have dropped mine off to be powder coated as the argent paint is flaking off. The paint isnt applied very well and would not stand up to road wear. I still think the quality of the molding is good, but figure in to overall cost that you will have to address the poor quality paint job.

View attachment 659660

That's unfortunate. It looks like the paint they used is a few shades darker than the originals anyway.

I have a pair of 73/74 Charger SE moldings that are similar in appearance, but are not solid extruded aluminum like the original 71 GTX moldings, but are stamped thin aluminum with the black lines painted on them. They would be passable to all but the GTX experts. They would be what I would use until a set of reasonably priced original moldings were found.

I have a pair of 73/74 Charger SE moldings that are similar in appearance, but are not solid extruded aluminum like the original 71 GTX moldings, but are stamped thin aluminum with the black lines painted on them. They would be passable to all but the GTX experts. They would be what I would use until a set of reasonably priced original moldings were found.
Thanks chargervert! Any chance you have a picture so I could see what they look like?

These are the moldings on my 73 Charger. They have four 1/4 inch painted black lines on them spaced apart by 1/8 inch silver lines. The ones on my car need to have the black lines masked off and repainted. I have a pair somewhere in my garage that I could probably get a better picture of if I can find them.

20171102_074610.jpg

These are the 73 Charger rocker moldings. They are not exact,but are passable to any non 71 GTX expert. The second picture shows them next to the Cuda moldings that are almost identical to the GTX moldings but are shorter in length.

20240226_181625.jpg

20240226_181706.jpg

That is the pair I have in the picture. They are driver quality. If you cleaned them up,and repainted the black stripes in dark argent,I think they would look decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back