• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 dodge Charger and so it begins, the under dash electronic mess

Kobrak

Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
1972 Dodge Charger. So a few questions hopefully I can get answered here. In the enclosed pics, ever see two dimmer switches before? I'm going to have to trace the wires, but I'm thinking it must be a start button for security? Also, the next pic us a connector coming from the steering column? Could I be missing a module of some sort?
20231013_160543.jpg

20231013_172312.jpg

20231013_160549.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the second button had some sort of radio function.

Sorry, I thought the car was in my profile!! DOH!
Helps to know what you are working on. Many guys have multiple cars so the profile route may lead to mis-information.

I believe the second button had some sort of radio function.
Wait, interesting as the car has that weird Chrysler radio/cassette floor mount with a mic (which I don't have).

The car does have cruise in it, but no idea where the other end is?
Engine bay harness goes throught the firewall (with a grommet) and plugs there. Part of the wires also run to the brake pedal switch which is specific for cruise control cars. One terminal to an ACC source

1697248583160.jpeg

Last edited:
Wait, interesting as the car has that weird Chrysler radio/cassette floor mount with a mic (which I don't have).
AM/FM Radio (Fig. 2)
To operate the radio the ignition switch must be
in the ON or Accessory position. Turn the left
hand knob clockwise to “On” position. This same
knob adjusts the volume level. The ring behind the
left knob, provides selection of tone quality.
AM or FM can be selected by moving the slide
switch above the push buttons to the right or left.
Station selection is accomplished either manually
by pressing the push buttons fully in, or by turning
knob at right. With the search tune radio station selection
is accomplished automatically by pressing
the bars marked “LOC” (local) or “DIST” (distant)
or by foot-operated button located to the left of the brake pedal.

I never had heard about any foot operated function for the multiplexer Radio! not shown on any diagram I have checked at least!

Engine baexcellent, wxcllenty harness goes throught the firewall (with a grommet) and plugs there. Part of the wires also run to the brake pedal switch which is specific for cruise control cars. One terminal to an ACC source

View attachment 1539605
Excellent! Thanks man. That explains the other wire that is hanging there to. I'll have another look tomorrow.

It probably doesn't apply here but, GV overdrives use a dimmer switch as an optional switch. I installed one in my 65 Belvedere.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back