• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 roadrunner GTX oddity.

72RRGTX

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
Hey, first post on this site and I hope that someone can help me with this car because I cannot find another like it. I'm pretty sure that it is a rare car as I believe that the owner ordered the car. I haven't seen it in a while but this is what I remember:

-1972 Plymouth roadrunner GTX
-Orange w/ black half vinyl roof
-Air grabber hood
-Factory rear window louver
-Trunk lid spoiler
-Magnum 500 wheels
-Black interior
-Bucket seats, no console and shift on the column
-440 auto
-posi rear
-GTX emblem is on the front fender between the rear wheel well and the door crease)

Thats about all the details I can remember other than is hasn't been licensed since 1978 and the car has 25511 original miles on it.

Anybody have any idea how I could find out if this is rare or not?

Thanks

Hey, first post on this site and I hope that someone can help me with this car because I cannot find another like it. I'm pretty sure that it is a rare car as I believe that the owner ordered the car. I haven't seen it in a while but this is what I remember:

-1972 Plymouth roadrunner GTX
-Orange w/ black half vinyl roof
-Air grabber hood
-Factory rear window louver
-Trunk lid spoiler
-Magnum 500 wheels
-Black interior
-Bucket seats, no console and shift on the column
-440 auto
-posi rear
-GTX emblem is on the front fender between the rear wheel well and the door crease)

Thats about all the details I can remember other than is hasn't been licensed since 1978 and the car has 25511 original miles on it.

Anybody have any idea how I could find out if this is rare or not?

Thanks

Do you have the fender tag on the car? Also there would be no orange vinyl roof. I would think maybe red, but not sure that was offered in a color choice or not. It could be an add on to it at some point in time from a shop.

I thought in 72 the GTX was only an option on the Road Runner and it would have no badges just decals.

Are you sure you have the year right?

The grill would be different and very hard to replace. The side marker lights are also different then the 71s as well as the tail lights. I also think the air grabber hood would be different but I could be wrong on that.

Any MOPAR in black is rare but if you are trying to find out how rare you would need to talk with Galen Govier.

Do you own the car or buying it? Keep us posted.

I think he's saying the car is orange with a black canopy roof.

I think real 72 N96 air grabber cars are in the double digits, maybe LOW tripple digits total.

It'd be real nice if he could post a pic of the tag.

The 1972 Road Runner GTX is very rare.canopy roof rare,air grabber hood very rare.I don't think you could get the gull wing or the backlight louvers in 1972.But with Mopars never say never,could also be dealer installed.The backlight louvers are also very rare.

- - - Updated - - -

1972 Road Runner GTX 440 auto 453 built....

Do you have the fender tag on the car? Also there would be no orange vinyl roof. I would think maybe red, but not sure that was offered in a color choice or not. It could be an add on to it at some point in time from a shop.

I thought in 72 the GTX was only an option on the Road Runner and it would have no badges just decals.

Are you sure you have the year right?

The grill would be different and very hard to replace. The side marker lights are also different then the 71s as well as the tail lights. I also think the air grabber hood would be different but I could be wrong on that.

Any MOPAR in black is rare but if you are trying to find out how rare you would need to talk with Galen Govier.

Do you own the car or buying it? Keep us posted.

in 1972, if a RR was ordered with a 440, then it became a RR GTX and had emblems on the front fenders and trunk. Only 672 RR/GTX's were built in 72. The air grabber hood is exactly the same for 71 and 72. No rear spoilers were available as an option in 72 and the rear window louvers were also not an option in 72. The grille, taillights, rear valance, rear bumper and front fenders were one year only pieces. also the original poster said the car is orange with a black canopy roof.

Last edited:
Yes, the car is orange with the black roof. I have not seen the car in quite some time but I know where the car is. There is a bit of a story to my relationship to the vehicle but we will leave that for another time. I would like to help the current owner get the details on the car. The only picture that I have is a really old picture of the original owner and his mother sitting on the hood of the car.

Where are the info tags located on this car?

The VIN tag is located on the lower, left, front corner of the dash frame and is visible through the windshield. The fender tag is located under the hood and is screwed to the left inner fender. If the car is a real RR/GTX the VIN should begin with RM23U2. The code for the 440 on the fender tag will be E86.

Thanks, I'm going to contact the current owner and go have a look at the car. If I can get some pictures I'll post them.

The original owner traded a 1967 firebird convertable on this car.He ordered it from Marshall motors in St.John's Newfoundland. On the way home he stopped at the local Kmart and picked up two snow tires for the comming winter. Those tires were still in the trunk when the car was sold. I looked at, sat in and shined up this car for about 15-16 years. The owner was never married and lived at home with his mother untill he died about 12 years ago. He always said that one of these days that the car was going to be mine. After he passed on, I waited for a few days before I would approach his mother about the car but the current owner of the vehicle did not have the same level of hesitance that i did. He went to her house the day after the funeral and bought the car. Anyway it has sat in his garage ever since and I have been heartbroken ever since. i would like to document the car for my own knowledge and maybe one of these days I'll make him an offer. I'm sure the car will need a restoration but it is in really good shape as it has always been stored inside. The car is ALL ORIGINAL. Tires, paint , battery, exhaust, everything.

I'll keep you guys posted

in 1972, if a RR was ordered with a 440, then it was given the RR GTX package and had emblems on the front fenders and hood. Only 672 RR/GTX's were built in 72. The air grabber hood is exactly the same for 71 and 72. No rear spoilers were available as an option in 72 and the rear window louvers were also not an option in 72. The grille, taillights, rear valance, rear bumper and front fenders were one year only pieces. also the original poster said the car is orange with a black canopy roof.

I miss read it. Thanks and this car sounds awesome.

There was no GTX package or option, simply any Road Runner ordered with one of the optional 440 engines, starting in 72’ and through 74’, became a “Road Runner GTX” and received additional badging, for 72’, in the fender locations described and on the deck lid.
1972_Plymouth_5r-2.jpg

There was no GTX package or option, simply any Road Runner ordered with one of the optional 440 engines, starting in 72’ and through 74’, became a “Road Runner GTX” and received additional badging, for 72’, in the fender locations described and on the deck lid.
1972_Plymouth_5r-2.jpg

I have only seen one maybe two in magazine ordered with as a V code car. If memory is right the one restored was orange with black buckets. The other one was orange as wel and in need of restoration. I think both cars were in Mopar Muscle in the early to late 90s.

Also there was a 72 Fury with a V code rummored but I think it has been found.

You'll also want to look on that fender tag, a sheet metal plate stamped with severla three digit codes and the VIN.
It's on the inner fender, driver's side, above the wheel.

Make sure the VIN matches the one on the dash. It'll be spaced out a bit differently.

..and look for "N96" in those three digit codes. The should be in alphabetical order, starting from the second line from the bottom.

If N96 is there, then it's quite rare. If it's not there, then someone put that air grabber hood on there, probably off a 71 car.

Here’s the lowdown on Larry’s, only one known to exist, 72’ “V” code Road Runner GTX, yet to be restored.
It will be at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in its unrestored glory for anyone who wants to see it on the 17th and 18th. It will be the first time the car has seen the light of day in Over 18 years.

Larry

Cool. This one is a single four barrell. As I said in a previous post the car IS all original. I know that people say that all the time but I have literally known the car my whole life. It was purchased around the same time that I was born. The car sat in a garage that was about 500' from my front door. If the rear window louver and decklid spoiler weren't a factory option the had to have been dealer installed because they were always on the car. I'm eager to get the vin tag info so that we can figure out how rare this old bird is.

Few years back a local old timer died that lots of Mopars. I had a chance to bought both of his 72 RRGTX's. One was gold with green interior and the other was Yellow with white interior. Wish I would have bought the yellow one. The gold is still around. new owner races it at the local track.

ILL HAVE A DELMONICO.....with some GTX sauce.........RAREEEEEEEEEEEEEE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....thank you!

Auto Transport Service
Back