• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Runner X

Wolfmamer

Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, I have lurked on these message boards for quite a few years now but i decided it was time to post a little something. I am fortunate enough to have owned a few roadrunners in my life but around 5 years ago I got my hands on my bucket list car. A 72 440 4 speed gtx. It’s came with the number matching 440 and 4 speed. I started on the project but as we all know Life happens and I ended up going through a divorce and both my projects got put on hold. Now the paperwork is done and I am starting back up with the project. I may be a few years before it gets a proper restoration but this year I am thinking since I have all the parts I’m going to reassemble the car and drive it around. Joe dirt style, a little dirty but alive. What do you guys think should I wait and strip it down and give it a proper resto, or should I just put it together so I have a running car again.

23C8434B-741C-4D41-A1E7-D460BAD84C64.jpeg EDC10ADA-D7CE-4CCB-975D-4B8C58482793.jpeg

First, welcome aboard from NJ. Sorry to hear about the divorce, many of us have gone through it! Very nice car, I would have ants in my pants and get it on the road first. That might be because I am getting up in age, lol! I think driving it to get the bugs out makes more sense so if you decide to alter stuff you don't have to be more careful about proceeding so gingerly!
:thumbsup:

Welcome from northeast of the Motor City. Restore it! That's my vote.

welcome to FBBO put it together and drive the wheels off it

I'd say get it on the road, treat any spots of rust that might get worse and enjoy the car. Your paint might buff out real good.

Cars that are not restored and in good shape can bring more money. It's easy to hide damage under new paint.

Right now with all the supply shortages and trade wars not to mention price increases, you might be waiting a long time to get parts together.

welcome and hello from S Carolina

Hello all, I have lurked on these message boards for quite a few years now but i decided it was time to post a little something. I am fortunate enough to have owned a few roadrunners in my life but around 5 years ago I got my hands on my bucket list car. A 72 440 4 speed gtx. It’s came with the number matching 440 and 4 speed. I started on the project but as we all know Life happens and I ended up going through a divorce and both my projects got put on hold. Now the paperwork is done and I am starting back up with the project. I may be a few years before it gets a proper restoration but this year I am thinking since I have all the parts I’m going to reassemble the car and drive it around. Joe dirt style, a little dirty but alive. What do you guys think should I wait and strip it down and give it a proper resto, or should I just put it together so I have a running car again.

View attachment 1264502 View attachment 1264503

Do it slow and less Financially Painful
Keep it as a "ride-able use-able investment"
Nice car
440 in a 72!
Whoo-Haa!

I would put it together, drive and enjoy it. That way you can feel it out and see if there are any glaring issues you want to take care of. Also it may sway you on if you want to rotisserie resto it or do the way more fun driver type resto so you can drive the heck out of it later without a worry about getting a rock chip on the undercarriage.

Assemble and drive it. Buy up your parts, find your body man, get it on the schedule. It will most likely take longer than you think. It only takes a couple days to tear down a car to a shell and delivery it to the body shop.

Welcome from PA!

I would also vote to put it together. Get it reliable and work on things you can while it is a driver - much more enjoyable that way. You risk losing interest if you start a multi-year restoration.

Welcome aboard.

Another vote for putting it together and driving the wheels off of it. I drove my A12 as a primered old warhorse for a decade before I tore it apart and redid it. Those were some of the most enjoyable miles that it has logged while in my care. JMHO.

I drove my A12 as a primered old warhorse for a decade before I tore it apart and redid it. Those were some of the most enjoyable miles that it has logged while in my care. JMHO.
Great Point and I fully agree.

My 73 Road Runner is a bit of a beater. But I can drive it anywhere, park it anywhere, and not really worry about it. I have a blast driving it. A perfect paint, perfectly restored car sounds nice (and it is), but now you worry about getting chips, wear, dirt, etc. I worry much more about my 70 Road Runner when I drive it.

You could make a list of jobs to be done. 1 day projects, 2 day, etc. You could do those while you drive it. A long weekend to go through the diff: Brakes, cables, lines, and bearings. While the axles are out, drop the carrier for inspection and whatever it needs. Done and off the list. A leisurely day for new spring bushings, you hope.
If you decide on a all out restoration, the springs and diff will drop easily as the bolts and such are all fresh. Re-installation will be a breeze and have no surprises.

A list of parts is a good idea too. You can buy stuff on sale and search FBBO for what you need.

Welcome neighbor.

Well there is a blast from the not so distant past. What do you think should i go out and grab it from the man himself or wait and hope he finds time for it.
I think The Man, would love to get his dusty hands on that car!! Get your name on the list!
Meanwhile, how's the drivetrain coming along?

Auto Transport Service
Back