• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

295 vs 275 Tires

Ok, i like your stance........but we can't get that size in the BFG tires in Australia...no idea why not....
Would it be bad to go shorter? like a 215/70 or a 235/60...
Wow, really? I wonder what the heck that's all about....
I don't suppose mega-sized tire sellers like Tire Rack ships your way, eh?

Ok, well...
The 225/70/15 tire is 27.4" tall and 8.8" wide; a 215/70 would be 26.85" tall and 8.46" wide.
A 235/60 would be 26.1" tall and 9.35" wide.

Generally speaking, the shorter the front tire vs. rear tire, the more the weight bias shifts to
the front of the car. Also generally speaking, the wider the tire (of the same brand, etc.) the
more weight it's rated to be able to carry.
All sorts of things come into play as you shift weight bias around on a car - steering effort changes,
braking changes, front end component wear changes, etc.

Wow, really? I wonder what the heck that's all about....
I don't suppose mega-sized tire sellers like Tire Rack ships your way, eh?

Ok, well...
The 225/70/15 tire is 27.4" tall and 8.8" wide; a 215/70 would be 26.85" tall and 8.46" wide.
A 235/60 would be 26.1" tall and 9.35" wide.

Generally speaking, the shorter the front tire vs. rear tire, the more the weight bias shifts to
the front of the car. Also generally speaking, the wider the tire (of the same brand, etc.) the
more weight it's rated to be able to carry.
All sorts of things come into play as you shift weight bias around on a car - steering effort changes,
braking changes, front end component wear changes, etc.

ok, interesting point, so if i make some changes to the front suspension, to try and level it out a bit? would this fix the issue?

i'm now thinking of all those cars with the jacked up rear stance and imagining how they'd handle...

i think i've made my decision.....

215/70 front on 15x7 4BS and 275/60 back on 15x8 4.5BS......this means the rear tire is 1.1 inch taller than the front.
from what i can work out, i think this should fit a standard RR suspension set up, will give a mean enough rake without being dangerous or bad for the vehicle....

if anyone thinks this is a bad idea or wont work, i'm all ears :thumbsup:

I'd go with the 225/70 however its not available in Australia.

ok, interesting point, so if i make some changes to the front suspension, to try and level it out a bit? would this fix the issue?

i'm now thinking of all those cars with the jacked up rear stance and imagining how they'd handle...
They handled like pigs, of course - and wore stuff out quicker, too.

.....i kinda like the skinny/fat look....
The fats and skinnies were all the rage when I was young - folks trying to emulate race cars on the street
and all....
Problem was, that put the least amount of rubber on the end of the car that had the most braking ability, not
to mention that whole inertia thing when it was time to stop - especially in urgent braking situations.
In short, it was dangerous as hell.

Reminds me of one story in particular - and perhaps another old NeHOA member remembers this one as well:
At one NeHOA "meet" I attended in the 80's (can't remember where, but I want to say PA?) a few dozen of us
Mopar owning club member types all lined up to cruise to an event.
We all witnessed a first gen Camaro, all shiny in it's GM glory and riding on "fats and skinnies" plow into the
back of a compact station wagon with a family on-board, in particular with a little girl in the back of the wagon
(like we all did when we were kids).
Dude in the Camaro was doing his best to banty rooster past all of us in the Mopar convoy and when he
realized he needed to stop in a hurry to avoid the station wagon, instead slid for a country mile as those skinny
front tires locked up - and since it was a two lane country road and he was in the WRONG lane, there was nowhere
else to go.
Plowed right into the back of that little wagon....
Thankfully, everyone was ok but shaken up of course - and we all gave that Camaroochi owner unmitigated HELL
for being such an idiot.

I never was fascinated by the whole "pro street" craze and never did the fat/skinny thing because well, it looked
sort of retarded to me - not to mention, overdone to hell and back - and as much as I liked messing with cars
to supposedly improve performance or what have you, I never wanted to take anything away from their being
functional at the least.
They didn't stop that great to begin with and since I always had manual steering cars, they steered plenty hard
for me without making it worse by overloading the front tires even more.
Just didn't make sense to me...

Its currently got 215/70 r14 on it....my only other option is a 245/60 r15 and i dont know if this will fit...but thats shorter again....unless i went 255/60 although this will be even less likely to fit.....i did read somewhere that someone did 275 all round but whod know what suspension mods were needed.....

In the end i just ordered the 215/70 and the 275/60....its the only option i can get here...short of importing a tire from the USA....

The fronts were cheap at AU185 each....if it feels dangerous...ill just buy two new tires at a different size....

The 225 is only 10mm wider...so im sure its not going to make that much difference

Last edited:
I have 295's on 3 different sets of 15"x8" wheels. Not a fan of the jacked up look anymore the older I get. I like the stock ride height look with a little extra meat. No pics of the steelies I have.

jpeg-imag.jpg 20170903_161436.jpg

I have 295's on 3 different sets of 15"x8" wheels. Not a fan of the jacked up look anymore the older I get. I like the stock ride height look with a little extra meat. No pics of the steelies I have.

What is the actual height of your 295/50 tires from the concrete to center of the axle? my tires are 27”(13.5”Radius) unmounted but end up only 12.5” from concrete to center of axle. I’m hoping the 295/50, 26.6” tall unmounted, would measure 12.5” or greater due to the side wall being stiffer? If it is 12.5” or greater I’m going to throw a set on my Coronet. If not I’ll wait until I get an OD transmission.

Auto Transport Service
Back