• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 bearing clearances

Update:
I just called my machinist who I trust and he said it'd be completely fine. Long story short, they will wear down evenly and most likely end up in the range of .002-.0025.

They're .3 oversized since the crank was ground that much.
I believe you mean the crank is cut .030" under. So chances are they cut or at the high limit. Thus tight bearing clearance.
Doug

I believe you mean the crank is cut .030" under. So chances are they cut or at the high limit. Thus tight bearing clearance.
Doug
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse.
The crank is cut .3 for the rods, but I haven't done those clearances yet because of the previously stated bearing problem. I believe the crank is cut .1 on the mains from when I had it turned to begin with to clean it up. I'm at work right now so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure. Also like I said I'm going to take the machinist word because I've had lots of work with him in the past and him and his crew are very trustworthy to me and he's never steered me the wrong way. On top of that, he is very conservative with his measurements and likes to be extra sure of everything, so for him to say it'll be ok, I'm fairly confident.

Step back, and have your machinist explain to you, how much .3, and .1 is.
Typo? Maybe...but big difference.

Step back, and have your machinist explain to you, how much .3, and .1 is.
Typo? Maybe...but big difference.
The rod parts of the crank are ground .3. The main parts of the crank are only ground .1. Two different measurements on two different parts of the crank.

The rod parts of the crank are ground .3. The main parts of the crank are only ground .1. Two different measurements on two different parts of the crank.
I think what he's getting at is that your numbers are .3 and .1 when what you mean is .030" and .010" ... Big difference. .3 is nearly 5/16 of an inch. Using a tape measure and a feeler gauge, you'll get an ide of just how big that difference is.

Oops, I missed that. You guys are definitely right, it's .03 and .01

Auto Transport Service
Back