• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 build Converter and Rocker Questions

alpentolic

Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
I'm putting together a gently used 318 I picked up locally, to install in my '73 KaryVan (B300) and replace the worn stock motor of unknown mileage.

I picked up the motor project partially built, with a 340 cam from summit being the only change from stock as far as I can tell. It came with hydraulic lifters already in, and the old timer told me they were already in correct order and not to mix them up. New water pump and pulleys, etc. I have a performer intake and a new Holley 650 cfm carb ready for it. The PO already changed the exhaust to a true dual setup.

It is missing pushrods and rocker assemblies. Heads are complete but not installed obv.

I'm trying to get parts together as affordably as I can. Would it be wise to spring for adjustable rockers with the new cam? and should I get a pushrod tester to determine the length I need if I did that?

I'm also wondering what else would be wise to replace while I have the old engine out. The 727 setup works fine, but it's been mentioned that I should look into updating the torque converter for increased stall. With the options online I'm hoping to not spend $300 on a converter if it won't make a difference.

I'm pretty green as you can tell, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks much.

I'd put in a different cam if it's in a heavy van. 340 cam in a low compression 318 will be soft on the bottom end.

I think a rebuilt converter set to stock 340 specs would work well for you. I would use stock valve train with 340 spec springs.
Mike

Doesn't sound like a good cam choice for a van with 318. I built a 360 to replace the stock 318 in my '76 van. the 360 had about 9.8 CR, Comp 260 cam with headers. Amazing power for my van I used for towing my 5500# trailer. The OEM 318 was very poor at towing. Would really struggle going up hills. The 360 would pull uphill with absolutely no trouble. I'd sure look at an RV style cam for the 318.

Auto Transport Service
Back