• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 identification....

BBQPorkins

Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
I bought this car a few months ago. 66 Charger. No one knows much about the engine other than it's a 318. I'm in the process of timing and I'm a little confused if the tab is in the right spot. Check out the photos and let me know it's a little confusing
20210730_163258.jpg
20210730_163335.jpg
20210730_163441.jpg
20210730_163411.jpg

Are you referring to the timing indicator plate/location?

Consider getting a piston stop and finding true TDC for #1 firing, and then see what lines up with what. Then you'll know for sure where you're '0' mark is and can go from there.

The timing indicator in the op's picture shows the location of a 60's 318. The indicator is bolted onto the water pump on the passenger side. The later picture posted by beepbeepRR shows a later design. Not sure when it switched.

The timing indicator in the op's picture shows the location of a 60's 318. The indicator is bolted onto the water pump on the passenger side. The later picture posted by beepbeepRR shows a later design. Not sure when it switched.
Correct I believe - my 318 is poly and indicator bolts on. OP says he has a '66 so not sure if it would be later or a poly...my guess is poly.

Correct I believe - my 318 is poly and indicator bolts on. OP says he has a '66 so not sure if it would be later or a poly...my guess is poly.

Could it be a poly timing cover with later heads? I included a pic of the head and they are not poly heads for sure.

Consider getting a piston stop and finding true TDC for #1 firing, and then see what lines up with what. Then you'll know for sure where you're '0' mark is and can go from there.
This. It doesn't matter where your timing indicator is, if it's not lined up with true TDC.

I want to say 1969 was the change in LA timing cover indicator location but I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

OP's pic is for sure NOT a poly, and therefore not the original engine in a 1966 Charger...not that it really matters.

Last edited:
Could it be a poly timing cover with later heads? I included a pic of the head and they are not poly heads for sure.
Yep - can't mistake poly heads...right around 66 poly's ended. I had to obtain a new timing cover for my poly and from what I gathered if memory serves, the later teen's cover was not a fit so located a poly cover to replace it. Don't know if it's possible some 66 cars had poly's or LA's depending on prod dates or not - stranger things have happened.

Auto Transport Service
Back