• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 or 383 C to B?

RH62

Local time
10:32 PM
Reaction score
well after a long search for a decent engine... seems like they are falling out of the sky now. I just picked up a craigslist 318 short block that looks like a rebuild for $125. Just needed to have the valve job done on my current heads and i was set. well now one of my customers is giving me a 66 plymouth fury III station wagon she says had a rebuilt motor shortly before it was parked about 15 years ago. whats it take to swap this motor/trans into my 69 satallite wagon? is it worth it or should i stick with the 318?

Same K member but likely different motor mounts. From what you have posted here it is a no brainer. No replacement for displacement.

once i get the car home next week i can make a better educated decision when i try and get the 383... at least i think its a 383... started. It has a single snorkle air cleaner, i didnt think a 426 or 440 would have on it.

You will need the drive shaft because the 727 tranny is longer than the 904. The radiator hose locations are different as well. Still a no brainer, especially since you have the complete parts car.

Won't the Big block sag his frame?

Not unless it has some serious rust/structure issues with the frame. These cars had the same front/rear frame regardless of the engine. Only difference on some was the addition of torque boxes on HEMI and vert cars

motor mounts and radiator from the C body should work then?
im thinking the drive shaft will have to be cut down but thats not too expensive is it?

Auto Transport Service
Back