• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 poly to a 440 thoughts

mosquito13

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
i have a 64 polara sedan and the poly w/ a 727 behind it just isn't mov'in it like i want. has a wieland intake with a 650 eddy 4barrel, electric iggy. was thinking of throwing more money at the poly and getting tti headers, better cam,and a better carb. but why spend another $1500.... there are lots of 440 engines with 70k less in rv's on craigs list all day for less then $500 w/the 727's included. done some research and read all the posts here and at some other mopar related forums. plan on using (sp?) shoemakers mounts, and headers(read there engine swap stuff too).
who has done this swap? any words of wisdom gained from the actual experience? any problems encountered?
not asking for any recomendations on the 440 build up, just the install of it to my 64 polara 440.
will be selling off one great running, for what it is, 318 polywide block when the swap is done.
coronet006.gif

if the 727 from the motor home is the short tail it is use less for the dodge
so you will need to buy a trans
the motor will drop in place on your k-frame with the right mounts.

thanks will be using the 727 pushbutton already in car.(everything i have read says its a bolt up to the 440) just rebuilt and got a transgo kit.

I'm sure someone will correct me here if I am wrong but I do not believe that a small block 727 will bolt up to a big block engine.

thanks will be using the 727 pushbutton already in car.(everything i have read says its a bolt up to the 440) just rebuilt and got a transgo kit.
the small block trans will not bolt up to the big block. you can get a big block trans housing and put the small block internals in it or just find a big block push button trans (getting a little harder to find). be sure to use the correct motor mount brackets.

I'm looking at swapping a BB into my 65 Belvedere II also. I bought a '65 New Yorker 413 and 727 trans for $600. Has less than 75k original. I also may buy a '71 Newport 440 and use it instead of the 413. They will replace a pretty tired original 273. Almost time to buy the mount kit. Best of luck!

As others have said, you will need a BB cased 727 pushbutton for the 440.

A car application is usually easier to work with since it has a center sump pan and will have a 727 that you can use if you're not married to the pusbutton thing.

A later 727 is a direct bolt in if you use the imperial services mount that is sold by Schumacher.

I converted a /6 3 speed car to a 440/727 car and it's one of the easiest swaps you will ever do once the K-frame is swapped (non needed in your case).

318 poly

Let me know if you decide to sell the poky. I am thinking of the dame conversion....but.....I have a 440 in the garage.... but don't know if Kwangju to use it in the cars I. Have!

got a bb pushbuttlon 727 on the way! now i need a 440.

got a rebuilt p/b trans from a 65 and Stock 1965 Coronet shaft with slip yoke
It looks like there are two numbers on the left pan rail. The first looks to be C2408005 reference material does not show this number. 1965 transmissions, 727's and 904's, all start with 24661. Anyway the second set is (apparantly) 044827. I don't believe that VIN's were on the transmissions or engines before 1966.
bbtrans2.jpg

bigblocktrans1.gif

transanddriveshaft-1.gif

now i need to find a 440 engine

what should i ask and offer on this 440?

guy is asking $2500 obo 1968-69 Chrysler, flat-top pistons, rebuilt 3-years ago professionally, never been fired, over $3000. invested, all included parts are brand new - stainless stell hugger headers, tourquer intake, high energy distributor, high output coil, wires, chrome pan, aluminum billet dip-stick, polished aluminum valve covers, polished billet valley pan plates, and other misc parts. Just bought house need to liquidate some toys. Our loss your gain. All offers considered within reason.
440.jpg

or get this for $1100 + 150 miles of gas and sell the donner car

An old classic

1976 Chrysler
All leather interior (buttoned Corinthian Leather)
Rosewood dashboard
V8 engine
440 cubic inch
"Longest car made"

Under 33,000 miles
Had been kept in door garage prior to a year an a half ago
Car comes with both: Electrical and Body Service Manuals
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CAR DOES NOT GO IN REVERSE
(reverse gear needs to be repaired)
The car has been in storage for over a year and is kept outdoors
must sell to avoid further damage to an old classic

Car owner does not live in area and depends on storage owner to show car to potential buyers

Selling at a good price
Must sell because owner is not in immediate area to watch and take care of car.

HELP! came to a grinding halt yesterday

got the "new" 727 b/b cable shift delivered to the transmission shop. everything was looking good in the quick go through till....
the rear pump cover has terminal scorning where the seals for the govoner ride. i am too deep in this with shipping and the $500 for the trans(great deal if...) so anyone have a REAR PUMP COVER from a 64-65 CABLE SHIFT 727 . pm me please. i am dead in the water with the engine swap till i get one. any suggestions where to get one retail is welcome too. posting this up on the mopar forums and craigs list. guese will start calling the bone yards on saturday.

Maybe the part you need. From another site:
1962-63-64 Cable shift big block 727's I have 4 of them that i would prefer to sell as a lot consider they will all need to be re-built. $ 300.00 for all 4 727's [email protected] 608-739-4489 Located in southwestern WI 53573

pump cover

photo's of what i need. and why . if i can't locate one guese i will bolt it all up and set it aside till engine is done and ready to swap . then pull the cover off the one in the car. though hope to sell that one with the perfictly good 318 i am pulling. might try sleaving it to as a worst case ...

Attachments

• pump cover 001.jpg
    pump cover 001.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 499
  • pump cover 002.jpg
    pump cover 002.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 497
  • pump cover 003.jpg
    pump cover 003.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 529
$100 latter

guy in wisco is going to go through his 4 727 cable shifts trannys and get me a good pump cover. $100 + shipping ..... up side is will have it by end of next week and can keep moving forward.

While your trying to figure out which engine you want to get something to bear in mind, 71 and later engines are cast crank externally balanced engines i do not see a balance weight on your torque conerter so it is for a steel crank internaly balanced engine. Also all 71 and later engines are low compression engines and all truck and motorhome engines are extra low compression.

...or buy a B&M SFI flexplate that has the "eyebrow" cut out of it for external balance engines and neutral balance torque convertors.

guy in wisco is going to go through his 4 727 cable shifts trannys and get me a good pump cover. $100 + shipping ..... up side is will have it by end of next week and can keep moving forward.

found it on ebay shipped to the door for 35$ . back in the game.

movin' ahead again!

found an engine out of a 73 imperail with 60 k . got the tranny back from the shop all gone thru with a stage 3 transgo kit. budget is gone out the door with the schumacker order. free shipping hooked me on getting everthing at once ... headers package , ministarter, and misc... need to figure out if i am going to just run the engine and build funds for the next phase or pull $$$ from another project/ i.e. sell my norton.

Auto Transport Service
Back