• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

361 BB Extended Crank Fit

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
I recently found out that my 1959 361 BB has a extended crank and will not accommodate a manual transmission. Machine shop had to modify their engine stand to work on it.
Totally rebuilt and ready to install. Brewers said I am not the first to try this application, he said it will not work and there are no known adaptors.
So here is my question, I have a 71 727 BB that I can use instead of 4 speed will the crank be an issue here also?

IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

I recently found out that my 1959 361 BB has a extended crank and will not accommodate a manual transmission. Machine shop had to modify their engine stand to work on it.
Totally rebuilt and ready to install. Brewers said I am not the first to try this application, he said it will not work and there are no known adaptors.
So here is my question, I have a 71 727 BB that I can use instead of 4 speed will the crank be an issue here also?

View attachment 1483167

View attachment 1483171
Yes. I believe you will be money and time ahead if you swap in a later model 361 crank or even a 383 (with balancing the rotating assembly).
Mike

Yes. I believe you will be money and time ahead if you swap in a later model 361 crank or even a 383 (with balancing the rotating assembly).
Mike
To be clear, he could use any trans, manual or auto if he changes out the crank to a '62 and up "B" crank correct??

Yes you are screwed on any trans newer than 1962. The crank flange is the problem, the back of the block is the same, so are the mount ears, but it takes disc type core plugs.

Need to swap the crank. If you have the balance sheet from the builder then you know rod and piston weights and you don’t have to take it all apart.

59............... 361 engine for sale ..............LOL

Swap the crank, it’s not that big of a deal. The rest of the engine is just fine.

I would not have a clue where to start................what crank to look for, price and all that technical stuff.

I would not have a clue where to start................what crank to look for, price and all that technical stuff.
Any 62 up 361 crank would be perfect. The 383 crank is dimensionally identical but, the bob weight would be higher to accommodate the heavier piston/ring assy. That may require rebalancing the rotating assy.
Mike

No sense of humour, FU64? Do you understand what a series of full stops means at the end of a sentence.

No sense of humour, FU64? Do you understand what a series of full stops means at the end of a sentence.
Why twist the knife??

You two have some sort of bad blood??

WTF??, just help the guy find a crank already.

Never heard of the OP! You guys need to lighten up. Find the OP a crank? Did you see where I live?

call the machine shop that built the engine. I would think they could come up with a crank and swap it.

Auto Transport Service
Back