• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Complete Engine Weight

dryheat

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
I am looking to pickup an engine stand so that I can begin to tear down my 64 383. I was just wondering if anyone could give me the approximate weight of a complete 383 engine so that I don't buy a stand that is too small.

Thanks

Jim, Most of the stands avaialble are 750# but I like to over do things so I would go with one rated for 1000#.
Hope this helps!
Mopar 361-383-400 V8 620#
Mopar 413-426W-440 V8 670#
Mopar Street Hemi 765#

Thanks Red ... I was kinda leaning towards a 1000 but just wasn't sure if I need to step it up to a 2000 instead. I don't like it too much when engines fall.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used one on Craigslist.

I have seen them and hoists on there...good huntin!

Make sure you get one with 4 wheels not 3. The 1000 lb will work fine. HF has them at a good price and are pretty nice, I have 1 with my 383 on it for 3 yrs. no problem.

Sooooooooooooo ... I went on the local Craigslist and found a 4 wheel 1000 lb engine stand 3 miles from my house for $40 ... it's now in my garage as I type.

I was a little worried as it was last used to hold a 289 out of an early mustang so I stopped by a church on the way home and had a young priest and an old priest come out and splash it with holy water to exorcise any residual Ford demons.

:toothy10:

Sooooooooooooo ... I went on the local Craigslist and found a 4 wheel 1000 lb engine stand 3 miles from my house for $40 ... it's now in my garage as I type.

I was a little worried as it was last used to hold a 289 out of an early mustang so I stopped by a church on the way home and had a young priest and an old priest come out and splash it with holy water to exorcise any residual Ford demons.

:toothy10:

Your a funny guy :laughing4:...lmao.....keep us informed!

About 30 is all that I can get for them around here.....40 ain't bad. Built a 4 wheel stand for a buddy of mine for 60 and it should hold 2000 lbs. That was a very good deal. I hate China made crap....

Im not the buddy ya built one for, but thats what i did, 2000 easy.. of course, i think my stand weights about 1/2 what it will hold lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back