• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K member, engine and tranny stand

Mine was simple and cheap....built with things I already had here.

31 R.JPG

29 R.JPG

27 R.JPG

As several of us have shown, there are many possibilities of carts. From buying a package to DIY with what's handy in the garage and skill/equipment availability. Go for it!

Aaah yes jackstands on skates hundreds of uses dog approved

68fender2.jpg
There are 3/4 inch thick soft durometer rubber pads between the stands and the car frame to allow for elevation differences in the floor

Last edited:
I built mine out of 3/4" pressed wood, 2 X 4 and other scrap wood I had lying around. I didn't want some high dollar jig I would not have another use for since I had no plans at getting good at it. Got some cheap swivel dolly wheels from Menards for mobility. It worked perfectly. I rolled it under the body and lowered the body down and popped the bolts in. I don't have a lift in my shop so used the same method as Runner 68 did. I think I have about $35-$40 invested. I still use it for moving heavy stuff around in my shop.

100_6860.JPG

100_7305.JPG

All ya gotta do is set it on jackstands in the right spot

View attachment 1620067

I am being a wise *** of course

Great idea but I have to question the adjustability of the set up. Pretty static top and bottom. What happens if you're off by .5" or more?
How do you adjust the drive train or car?

Sorry, just noticed your "wise ***" comment. I'm getting slower these days. :BangHead:

Last edited:
1709566536984.jpeg

Not my picture and I don't know who to give credit to. Thanks to whoever originally posted it.

Last edited:
I don’t have a hoist so I used an inexpensive furniture dolly and modified it with a couple 2x4’s to keep the engine as low as possible.

IMG_4647.jpeg

Mine is very primitive in comparison to some of yours...

It has worked well on A-B and E bodies on numerous occasions...

I have only ever added to its height for a deeper oil pan...

0805181436.jpg

0804181630a.jpg

0420131009b.jpg

For all of us without a lift, how are you lifting the front of the car to get it high enough to get engine underneath. Trying not to take the bumper off and don’t think I’ll have the room to open the hood with it that high.

I think the most common way is by using the bumper bracket mounting points on the frame rail. Don’t know what you would get to take the weight with the bumper on.

For all of us without a lift, how are you lifting the front of the car to get it high enough to get engine underneath. Trying not to take the bumper off and don’t think I’ll have the room to open the hood with it that high.

The bumper bracket mounts are the only place I would trust as a lift point, especially when you're working under the vehicle.

IMG_8244.JPG

I like that. I’m in the middle of building your kframe/engine cradle. You wouldn’t happen to have plans for that also. lol
I would be glad to give you measurements for it. I designed it to work for A,B and E bodies as well although I’ve never been an E body guy.

Built mine off of Beekeeper's design and material list for about $250. Even with the mods.
When all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. If you have a welder everything is whatever the **** you want it to be.
I think USCT fucked up in not realizing that most people that build cars know how to create a cart like this and over priced it because they weren't selling any.

Beekeeper's design works equally well on A Bodies. I have loaned it out twice now to friends. Haven't tried it on an E Body yet but I'm sure it will work just fine.

The other thing you need to keep in mind about the USCT tool unit is there will probably be another $200-$300 shipping charge on top of the $650 base price. Not a light compact thing to ship. Now you're looking at a $1,000. Bullshit.
Build your own.
Is there a general height for the rear engine support (middle piece)? Are people making it adjustable? I'm prepping for the removal and installation of a 383 in a 70 Charger and trying to fabricate/collect tools that make it easier. There is so much great information here - glad I found a forum with a bunch of folks who love this stuff and share ideas.

Is there a general height for the rear engine support (middle piece)? Are people making it adjustable? I'm prepping for the removal and installation of a 383 in a 70 Charger and trying to fabricate/collect tools that make it easier. There is so much great information here - glad I found a forum with a bunch of folks who love this stuff and share ideas.
That piece is fairly customizable. I made mine on the fly. I originally needed to support it on the bottom of the oil pan while I assembled the clutch, bell housing and tranny.
I then cut the support legs down afterwards a bit to support it from the tranny. Right now the overall height is 12". This is for a manual tranny.

That piece is fairly customizable. I made mine on the fly. I originally needed to support it on the bottom of the oil pan while I assembled the clutch, bell housing and tranny.
I then cut the support legs down afterwards a bit to support it from the tranny. Right now the overall height is 12". This is for a manual tranny.
Thanks - I'll make it adjustable as I haven't invested in a welder yet.

Has anyone measured/documented plans for the "U" bracket for lifting the car (attaching to the frame where the front bumper is)? Again, my certified welder is not nearby so I want to prefab as much as possible ahead of time. I'm picking up the Charger several states away and want to fab up everything while I'm there or have him prefab it. The front bumper is still attached making it difficult to get accurate measurements. I don't want anything disassembled until I transport it here where I can carefully document & label everything and not lose anything.

I would be glad to give you measurements for it. I designed it to work for A,B and E bodies as well although I’ve never been an E body guy.
@Beekeeper Could I please get a copy of the measurements for the lift bracket as well? I'm looking forward to prefabbing the parts for my upcoming project.

TIA
Ross

Auto Transport Service
Back