• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Head Question

Go Fly

Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
One of the heads has what appears to be a Heli-coil insert. It's located at the rear facing the firewall.

It's on a 70 383.

Must be on the drivers side. Of no real concern, was probably a stripped and repaired alt most bolt hole.

One of the heads has what appears to be a Heli-coil insert. It's located at the rear facing the firewall.

It's on a 70 383.
Ok. On a 50 year old casting no doubt a little acceptable repair was made. What is your concern????????????????

You lucky devil. Not everyone will get a Heli-coil there during their lifetime.

You lucky devil. Not everyone will get a Heli-coil there during their lifetime.
Lol, how many get a pipe plug...............
upload_2022-1-3_9-44-23.png

I’m not sure what the purpose of the hole is where the pipe plug is, but it’s factory.
I’ve seen it in that exact place on a number of different heads.

....I’ve seen it in that exact place on a number of different heads.

I was thinking it was a casting issue such as porosity/void causing a pin leak. The plug might be the fix to save the casting. Lol, although I'm curious, I'm not going to remove it!

I was thinking it was a casting issue such as porosity/void causing a pin leak. The plug might be the fix to save the casting. Lol, although I'm curious, I'm not going to remove it!

The first time I saw it I thought the same thing.
Then when I had a pair of heads come in where both of them had the exact same thing...... I figured it’s done for some other reason.
I’ve probably had a dozen heads like that come through the shop....... various casting numbers....... plug is always right in that spot.

Sorry to take me so long to post pics

Thanks

20220107_084106.jpg 20220107_084101.jpg

Whoever installed it didn’t thread it deep enough. I usually thread them at least one turn past the top. You could pull it out with needle nose pliers, run an STI tap in to clean it and install a new one.

That head might have been on the right side at one time and the hole was stripped as it was used for a bracket or alternator bolt.

It's poorly installed. It can be redone..... but if you aren't using that hole for anything on the backside, why bother?

Auto Transport Service
Back