• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripped 727 Bolt Hole

KCbelvedere

Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
I have a thread stripped on my 727 where it mounts to the 440 on the lower starter side. Should be a 7/16”-14 be the threads are toast in the transmission case. This hole being all the way through the transmission case can I insert a heli coil from the back side fine? Or do I need to pull the transmission and insert the heli coil from the front of the transmission?

IMG_5076.jpeg

If it's installed, just use nuts with longer bolts. The nuts might not sit flush, but it'll still do its job, or you can grind a little so the nuts sit flush.

You need to drill and tap it. I do not think that will be possible with it installed. If the drill and tap will go through the block hole it may be possible.

How about a thru bolt from the block side, with a nut on the trans side, with some locktite?
Edit : OK Dart tree'd me.

That was my second move but I didn’t know if it would cause any issue with the case and crack it or something. It is flat enough for a washer to sit flat.

I can pull it apart and add the heli coil. I just didn’t know if it was possible to install the helicoil from the trans side without pulling it apart. Then the mounting bolt would basically go into the back of the coil if that makes sense.

The helicoil isn't designed to be installed backwards, when you break the tang, whats left digs in and keeps it from spinning with the bolt. Maybe a Time Sert?
I'd just put nuts on them and be done.

Ok that is what I was curious about the most. I didn’t know if they were “reversible” so to speak. I’ll likely just throw a nut on a 3” bolt if I don’t pull them apart and add the coil the right way. Appreciate the quick reply’s guys.

if you installed the insert in from the rear the threads would be back wards. i.e left handed

Try running a m12 x 1.75 tap through hole and use a m12 bolt

Auto Transport Service
Back