• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4:10 Rear End - Too Much?

Sometimes it's a case of 'better not to say anything without prior knowledge or experience' :)

Trying to figure it out,,Ive seen them listed for 8 3/4 & Danas... just trying to learn something...
Thanks Kiwi, I'll shut up now!

Thanks Kiwi, I'll shut up now!

no no no no....I didn't mean for you to shut up. :p
I've seen them advertised also, and thought it would be a reasonable choice - not too tall, and almost a 3.55.... sort of like a Goldilocks ratio. :D

so run the 410's with 29 inch tall tires.....you'll get the hole shot and cruise highways with no issue
Not the case with me. I run a 28" 295 45 18 and it still spun too high for my tastes.

I didn't mention it in my earlier post but I have run 4.10s in a similar built 440 with high stall converter (4200). I liked them, i drove the the car everywhere as my daily driver. I recall a trip from Harlingen,TX to San Antonio, Tx it took 5 hours an the car got 15 mpg. Going to my first job out of tech school. I was younger then and didn't mind sweating a little bit, the car was cool. 70 GTX, like it has been said, it depends on how you plan on using it.

A 4.10 will be great on normal roads.
I didn't mention it in my earlier post but I have run 4.10s in a similar built 440 with high stall converter (4200). I liked them, i drove the the car everywhere as my daily driver. I recall a trip from Harlingen,TX to San Antonio, Tx it took 5 hours an the car got 15 mpg. Going to my first job out of tech school. I was younger then and didn't mind sweating a little bit, the car was cool. 70 GTX, like it has been said, it depends on how you plan on using it.

Wow 15 mpg is great! My 500" motor didn't nearly as well. But 4.10 is just fine if you don't too much highway driving.

I swapped my 3.91 gears down to 3.55 when I had my 440 stoked to a 500. It still has great acceleration and is mildly better on the highway. It dropped the RPM down a bit to save wear and tear at highway speeds although it still screams at 55 MPH.

"Punch" is a relative word! ;)
It is a generally stock motor for the most part, and I guess my past experiences have been mostly 400+hp small block stuff with minimum 3:55 gears. I just find it takes a few seconds to wind the thing up. Just not snappy or the snappy I'm used too.
What's the tune like? Initial AND total timing. I've always advanced my timing on stock engine and even more so with low compression ones. How quick is your advance curve and what carb does it have? I threw in a set of 3.91's into a bone stock 440 Challenger that was fully loaded and with a terrible exhaust system and it went 14.22 at the track. The whole car including the engine had 100k miles on it plus the rear tires were well worn and was spinning off the line. Never ran it with the 3.23's but the butt dyno said it probably would have done just as good.

my butt dyno said the 3.55's felt a little better than the 3.23's in my 69 r/t; track times said differently. what really got me looking at this gear thing was a couple of trips to a chassis dyno. the 3.23's ran the best because they put the car thru the traps at near peak horsepower per the dyno results. the 3.55's and 3.91's took the engine too far past the power peak. you can have an engine that may make peak power above 5500rpm on the engine dyno, but once all the stuff like alternators, mufflers/ pipes are hooked up plus driving a trans, driveshaft and rear axle assembly it's a different game.

Is anybody running a Gear Vendors overdrive and with what gears? Do these things hold up to hard launches?

Is anybody running a Gear Vendors overdrive and with what gears? Do these things hold up to hard launches?
Reading some past articles with people using them, yes, they hold up but I would also like to hear from others here with 1st hand experience.

I had one in my 70 Charger. It was an older one without the mounting boss for the floor shifter. I had to make a bracket to make the floor shifter work.
I didn't like the GV for a few reasons.
First, the OD ratio didn't provide that much of an RPM drop. .78 overdrive? Really???
Second, the speedometer drive was at a weird angle. Looking from the rear, it exited the case at the 9:30 or 10:00 position causing the cable to rub against the floor. Why was it designed this way? It is just stupid.
The long cantilevered OD unit did result in more severe drive shaft angles. I had a consistent vibration that went away immediately after I pulled the GV out and went back to the stock setup.
Regarding operation, it worked fine. It shifted into and out of OD as fast as you'd ever want.
The next time I consider an overdrive, I'm going to look into a GM based 2004R or 4L60E.

Kern Dog thanks for the heads up. I'll be keeping my extra center chunks and switching them out as needed. Thanks for saving me the cash. Sounds like it isn't what I'm looking for and changing out the gears fast and easy.

Sure. The gear swap is certainly faster and cheaper.

I have a shot at a 4:10 gear for my 1969 Road Runner, 440 (not A12). 4 Speed car. it's a 3:23 rear end which just gives no snap to the car at all. I worry 4:10 is just way too much for the 440. Anyone running this in their car, and are you happy with it?
do the math 4.10 is like riding around in second gear

I will chime in here also. 4:10 is not street friendly. I built a 71 mustang with a BB 429 dual quad. I tried 4:10 and it was at 3100 RPM at 60MPH which is hard on a BB even a set of 3:91 is too low unless you race. I think with a 4 speed a 3:73 is a good choice.

With my 440/727 69 roadrunner I have experimented with lots of ratio's. For me 3.55's are a great all around gear except for the Interstate highway. 3.23's are wonderful for the Interstate. 4.10 was perfect for the 1/4 mile and 4.57 was great for the 1/8 mile tracks. Tires were primarily 275/60-15.

Auto Transport Service
Back