• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 died and barely starts with pedal to floor

Genrlee

Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 engine, that I was driving home from a little cruise in a couple weeks ago. It was running fine as I took off, then when let off the gas, it died. It starts, but only when holding accelerator to the floor and it seems to be only running on 4 cylinders. When let off gas at all, it dies. The car was completely restored with all new wiring about 4 1/2 years ago. It was converted to electronic ignition, with MSD distributor. I have tried a new ICM and made sure it was grounded. I have also tried a different coil. I assume and hope it's nothing major. Any help to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Wiring is not my expertise. Thank you all in advance.

Sounds to me like the carb is the issue. Take off the air cleaner and hit the throttle linkage and see if it squirts gas. If not then maybe a issue with the carb itself. Accelerator pump may be bad. Verify spark check plugs and wires. Also check the cap and rotor button. My money says carb issues..

It seems to be getting plenty of fuel. When it is running with pedal to floor the gas smell is overwhelming. It was a new Edlebrock carb when restored as well.

Have you verified spark? I forgot about the coil make sure that is in good shape too. Flooding could cause an issue too. Maybe the floats are sticking in the carb.

Do you have an in line fuel filter, if so have you checked it?

Pull the plugs. If they are fouled it will never start.
Start with a new set. Factory Champions are good.
Check which plugs came out of which cylinder .
Might help finding where your problem is from. Carb or ignition.

Last edited:
It seems to be getting plenty of fuel. When it is running with pedal to floor the gas smell is overwhelming. It was a new Edlebrock carb when restored as well.
Sounds like a float is stuck in the carb. If the car sits a lot and/or you use ethanol fuel, this happens easily.

Since it happened without other mods, could be the fuel pressure. I am going through three Edelbrocks with flooding issues. Edelbrocks cannot have over 6.5 psi pressure. My plugs ere soaking wet with rarely used carbs then with the effects of ethanol just destroyed them when sitting. Put a regulator on at 4 psi and when engine shut down, it rises to about 5 so should be good good being under the 6.5. My aftermarket pump was at 8.5 psi which surprised me. maybe something to look at. Pulling the plugs will give indication of whats going on.

Sounds like a float is stuck in the carb. If the car sits a lot and/or you use ethanol fuel, this happens easily.

I'm betting on this. Pinch off or disconnect the fuel line to the carb and it should clear up and run correctly for a minute before it dies assuming the plugs are not completely fouled.
If it is flooding over, that is.

Bryand

I'm betting on this. Pinch off or disconnect the fuel line to the carb and it should clear up and run correctly for a minute before it dies assuming the plugs are not completely fouled.
If it is flooding over, that is.

Bryand

Or just look into the carb when its running. Stuck float will dribble a little or lot of fuel out the main circuit.

My money would be on a stuck float too. Give the carb a few good medium smacks with the plastic end of a good sized screwdriver and you should be good to go.

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 engine, that I was driving home from a little cruise in a couple weeks ago. It was running fine as I took off, then when let off the gas, it died. It starts, but only when holding accelerator to the floor and it seems to be only running on 4 cylinders. When let off gas at all, it dies. The car was completely restored with all new wiring about 4 1/2 years ago. It was converted to electronic ignition, with MSD distributor. I have tried a new ICM and made sure it was grounded. I have also tried a different coil. I assume and hope it's nothing major. Any help to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Wiring is not my expertise. Thank you all in advance.

I had a similar issue, I would have to put the gas to the floor and keep it starting to run then it would shut off. I got a new voltage regulator and it solved my problem. Not sure if its your problem but just a thought.

If it’s a stuck float - I would change the oil when it’s fixed due to oil contamination. Might take a plastic mallet or end of a screw driver and rap the carb a few times over the fuel/float chambers and see if that frees it up. Works often on Holleys, not sure on Carter’s.

I would suggest doing a spark check first hold the coil wire about 1/4" away from a ground and crank it just a little.
Spark should be blue/white and crisp.
If it's yellow and lazy then something is wrong with the ignition.
Another way is to take a loose spark plug and use a jumpe cable to ground the plug.
If that tests good then you need to take the top off the carb and inspect.

It ran fine and then just started so I don't think a whack with a hammer is the proper remedy.

Carb flooding maybe die to float.
Try gently tapping side of carb may release. If not need to pull carb and go through it.

This thread is a month and a half old, but if you haven't fixed it yet, something else to consider would be the timing chain jumped if it still has the stock one.

Auto Transport Service
Back