• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 question

moweepea

Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
saw a 440 the other day and the water pump outlet was on the passenger side?? I thought they all were on the drivers side... just curious, anybody know why??

Mine is because I bought it that way. there was a reason for it but it escapes me now and doesn't seem relevant lol sorry had to get a radiator with a driver top hose and passenger bottom too kinda sucked but works fine.

The earlier big blocks had the passenger side inlet but I don't remember when they started using the drivers side unit.

Mine came off a 440 from a 1975 New Yorker and is a passenger side water pump outlet.

Yep, usually the trucks have those. The good news is you can use a small block radiator if that's all you have.

In the early 70s the water pump housing WAS revised to place the lower hose attachment to the right/passenger side.

I have a couple of each, Comes in handy when I have found a screaming deal on an aluminum radiator or such and had to swap housings for it work.

Auto Transport Service
Back