• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 starter causing grief. Help!

I run a Dakota starter for the "Magnum" V8 on my 440, along with the ridiculously annoying
Hedman large tube headers. Judicious use of a sledgehammer on one of the tubes is required
and doesn't hurt a thing - and the starter has proven to be tough as hell for a dozen years now.
Don't be afraid to wail on that tube as necessary.

Thanks fellas. I do recall an episode of Engine Masters where they tested hammered/dented header tubes and I believe they had little to no effect. I will go this route and see what happens.

How’s that for clearance? Take THAT, headers!

IMG_2680.jpeg

Update: Good news! It’s warmed up here in the north pole and I’ve been wrenching away on my Charger. The transmission is installed. The mini starter is installed. The headers are installed. New battery tray and braces are installed.
I fired her up aaaaaannnd….. bad exhaust leak haha. But you guys were right about the mini starter. Turns the 440 over great. Backed her out of the garage and drove back in. Will have to wait a couple weeks or for a couple good rains to wash the salt away before I can go for a rip and see how it shifts. New header gaskets should be in parts store tomorrow. (At least it’s only drinker side).
Thanks to everyone for guiding me through the whole ordeal. I truly appreciate it.

IMG_2741.jpeg

That is great news, you did it. Will be waiting to see how it worked out for you. And you will have to post more pics for us. :thumbsup:

Great news! Now put an insulator under that Edelbrock carb to stop the heat soak issue. I believe it's # 9265, and comes with longer carb studs. Make sure the choke is operating properly, but I'll bet it's your hot start issue.

Great news! Now put an insulator under that Edelbrock carb to stop the heat soak issue. I believe it's # 9265, and comes with longer carb studs. Make sure the choke is operating properly, but I'll bet it's your hot start issue.
I’ll check that insulator out. Thanks!
The issue I had last fall (broken ring gear teeth) happened during a cold start though. Since I put everything back together, I’ve started the car at less than 9 degrees C (sorry don’t know F) and it started and choked quite well. I did increase the idle a bit but I’ll have to pick up a vacuum gauge and go through the fuel mix screws.

Also, after removing the Mr. Gasket, cleaning head and headers, reinstalling and still having a leak, I tried out a felpro and it did the trick. I wish the felpros had the “drop on slots” for the 2 outside bolts but it was worth the extra hassle.

One other thing to check is
your battery cranking
voltage. Too low a voltage
equals a high resistance,
and less voltage to the
starter. Also check the
starter cable for any burn
through.

Auto Transport Service
Back