• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 starter causing grief. Help!

fine69

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
I’ve never had much of an issue starting my charger over theu past few years. In the past week though if I’m not babysitting it while it warms up and it dies, it’s a real mofo to fire back up. A lot of cranking and holding the accelerator down.
That’s exactly what happened last night before a family cruise. Only this time it stopped cranking over. I still hear the mopar starter wind as it always has but there’s a terrible zzzzzip that goes along with it and 440 (1973) is not turning over.
Does this mean the fly wheel could have broken teeth from all the cranking?
I’m under the car right now looking at removing the starter but there are long tube headers, steering column, etc.
I gave the starter a few taps with a heavy wrench but no luck.
Any pointers?

IMG_2504.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg

Can you take the insepction plate off the transmission to see if there any parts in the bottom ?
Should just be two or three little bolts to get it off

You are likely going to have to pull the starter out. It 'sounds' like it could be a failed bendix. Sometimes they fail and the gear will just spin freely on the end of the starter. So when you try to start, everything engages but the gear won't turn the engine over, it will just slip.

Mini starter but you need to pull off the plastic cover and remove the wire extension. Around $60.
Also could be the copper connection under copper stud.

starter NAPA.jpg

Can you take the insepction plate off the transmission to see if there any parts in the bottom ?
Should just be two or three little bolts to get it off
Just took it off and yep, there’s shrapnel sitting at the bottom of the bell housing. Sonuvabitch! I’m trying to squeeze my fat head in there and I think I see broken teeth on the fly wheel and the starter gear is not even close to it.

IMG_2506.jpeg

Mini starter but you need to pull off the plastic cover and remove the wire extension. Around $60.
Also could be the copper connection under copper stud.

View attachment 1512500
Fran, if I’m tearing everything apart to change the starter, shouldn’t I just use a regular mopar starter? Mini or not, the headers will have to be moved. Or are these mini starters much better?

Mini is a bit easier with Headers = But still not fun.

But the News gets much worse!

If you have broken off teeth on the converter as you stated =
Transmission must be taken partly out and a new ring on the converter installed
That means converter must be removed.

Mark the position of the flex plate to converter position as it only goes on one way.

This is a bit of a nasty little project if you have not done it before yourself and no
lift or transmission jack.

If you have flywheel teeth broken you are going to have to remove more than headers.

It is way better, so much lighter. The plastic that I menrioned be removed. Check that the stud doesn't the block. Didn't mine but do need a little trimming.

This is why I love FBBO. Despite these problems and the **** I’m about to go through to try fix them, there’s an unlimited amount of experience and knowledge here to guide me along.
This is my first mopar muscle car and I didn’t grow up wrenching on cars. In fact, this is only the second car I’ve ever tinkered with. But god dammit I’m digging in this time. Wish me luck. And a big sincere thank you to everyone here

image.jpg

PM me if I can be of any help (60+ years of working on these things)

The converter can really be confusing and a disaster if you do not know
the drill for getting it in properly!

hoping it’s only the starter bendix and no busted teeth on flywheel. Like headers but with my factory manifolds I haven’t tossed a starter in ages knock on wood

if I’m not babysitting it while it warms up and it dies, it’s a real mofo to fire back up. A lot of cranking and holding the accelerator down.

I don't know exactly what you're doing and why, but this issue needs to be addressed as well.

I don't know exactly what you're doing and why, but this issue needs to be addressed as well.
The edelbrock 1411 with electric choke isn’t always choking right. And yes, definitely another issue. Because of it I was cranking the hell out of the starter which ultimately buggered the flex plate

The edelbrock 1411 with electric choke isn’t always choking right. And yes, definitely another issue. Because of it I was cranking the hell out of the starter which ultimately buggered the flex plate
In my experience, that carb was very choke finicky. Too bad about the flex plate, hope you get that done. Then get the choke calibrated.

From what I see it's likely broken teeth on the converter or flywheel.
The Starter bendix only "kicks" out when you energize it, otherwise it would spin at engine speed and essentially self destruct.
If you bar over the engine or grab the belt and turn it a bit if your strong then try it again and it cranks you'll know.

And yes a mini-starter is way better.

But prepare to swear dealing with the header.:cursin:

Auto Transport Service
Back