• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 to Hemi Conversion

nomadci

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
Besides money and time what is this gonna require. The car is a 68 Charger R/T clone, stock 4 speed, pwr steering, pwr brakes,A/C car but no under hood AC components. Engine possibilities are 426 date correct or 528, 426 new. I would like to reinstall the AC but the Hemi is the priority. Car was originally a 383 and is currently a 440.

A set pf Schumacher mounts will work with your K-member and a set of TTI headers will likewise fill the bill.

If you want to retain the 4 spd, you'll need 8 bolt flywheel to mate your existing clutch parts.

Not much beyond that. Also Bouchillon sells the brakets and correct compressor to permit you to run AC with that beast - assuming you don't have interference with the firewall and your new valve covers.

Someone else will have to chime in to answer the question as it relates to "factory" AC.

Good luck and don't forget to post up some pics !

Southernman

You need to be careful with the oil pan as it will have to be modified or changed to a 4 quart pan per Schumacher...the other pans require the k member to be notched in two places. Just fit a 572 crate hemi into my 64 savoy with the Schumacher mounts. Also if you use cast aluminum valve covers they will hit the firewall, while chrome stamped steel ones won't. Hope that helps. Spook.

I swapped out the 440 sixpack that was in my Charger for a 426 Street Hemi. I used Scumacher conversion mounts & Hooker headers. I had to ding the #1 tube to clear the power steering box fitting but everything else was just bolt in.

I prefer the 1 piece engine plate or in this case ELEPHANT ears,especially with a stick.:blob1:

Attachments

• 111-1127_IMG.JPG2r.jpg
    111-1127_IMG.JPG2r.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,734
All sounds good. I'm almost finished with a 383 to 1970 Hemi conversion on my 70 Superbee. As "Southernman" suggested, start w/ the Schumacher conversion mounts. I also went TTI headers (from Bob Mazzolinni Racing). Performed the "hemi crash pan" mod on my K-frame before powder coating. Bought "all" pulleys from Bouchillion Performance Engineering INCLUDING the AC compressor and condenser and all related parts. I'm just putting it all together now.I added disc brake set-up. My May 19th, 1969 Hemi "short block" was just that! A short block. No pulleys and brackets BUT, it's very important to use a"440" style crank dampner in order to use the 383/440 pulleys and brackets. If you use the Hemi crank dampner you need Hemi specific pulleys. Seeing you have the 440, you can swap the pulleys and brackets from your RB to the Hemi. BPEs AC kit is great! Good luck!

Factory HEMI cars with PB got an offset brake booster bracket. It moves the booster up higher to clear the valve cover, and I believe the #7 plug is very difficult to get to with the booster in the way. I think someone repos the brackets for the Bendix booster.

I'd look into about running a 440 harmonic absorber (balancer) on a HEMI. Those are tuned to a specific frequency and since the HEMI has the larger rods and I think a heavier crank the torsional vibration characteristics might be different. I'm just sayin' the factory made them larger for a reason.

Factory HEMI cars with PB got an offset brake booster bracket. It moves the booster up higher to clear the valve cover, and I believe the #7 plug is very difficult to get to with the booster in the way. I think someone repos the brackets for the Bendix booster.

I'd look into about running a 440 harmonic absorber (balancer) on a HEMI. Those are tuned to a specific frequency and since the HEMI has the larger rods and I think a heavier crank the torsional vibration characteristics might be different. I'm just sayin' the factory made them larger for a reason.

This is true but it is not needed to make the swap. Mine bolted right in. It was tight but it fit.

A lot of useful information. Should help make this as painless as possible. Went to Schumacher website and they said with their mounts (and 8 bolt flywheel) it should fit with no problem. They also said aluminum heads might cause a problem for header fitment. Unless they were TTI, and I would have to use stock type valve covers as the aftermarkets might cause a problem with the firewall.

440 to Hemi conversion...440 "style" dampers..

To clear up some confusion on 440 to Hemi conversions specifically concerning dampers, I'm running a "440-style" damper from BHJ. It's a certified damper for NHRA BUT: it's designed to "fit" 440 pulleys etc. Same inertial damping as the original style Hemi's but the outer design allows the use of 440 pulleys. Do not run a 440 damper, buy a new one that is designed "as" a 440 style. Not a 440 damper. Again, BHJ, BPE and other companies sell them. It WILL save you lots of money in the long run. :blob1:

This is true but it is not needed to make the swap. Mine bolted right in. It was tight but it fit.

Then it's possible the offset bracket was to facilitate the removeal of the valve cover for valve adjustment purposes. No factory hydraulic cams until 71.

Just one more note on hasrmonic balancers (Dampers)...All Hemi "Crate" engines from Mopar come with the "440-style" damper. Same with "Indy".
Hope this helps someone in the future.

RE: 440 to hemi conversion, one more thing?

I believe the 440 "4V" has a 5/16" fuel line to the fuel pump. The Hemi and possibly the 440 "six-pack" cars have a 3/8" fuel line from tank to pump. And dont forget the fuel tank sending unit. Again Hemi cars have 3/8" sending units. 383 and possibly the 440 "4V" have 5/16" units. Can aybody think of anything else?

Then it's possible the offset bracket was to facilitate the removeal of the valve cover for valve adjustment purposes. No factory hydraulic cams until 71.

Yes, it was truely bolt in. I used the same factory 440 master cylinder bracket my car came with. No offset master cylinder bracket required. Yes, in this case the master cylinder would have to be removed to remove the valve cover but it all cleared.

I believe the 440 "4V" has a 5/16" fuel line to the fuel pump. The Hemi and possibly the 440 "six-pack" cars have a 3/8" fuel line from tank to pump. And dont forget the fuel tank sending unit. Again Hemi cars have 3/8" sending units. 383 and possibly the 440 "4V" have 5/16" units. Can aybody think of anything else?

May not be needed. With the factory 440 5/16" line & a high volume maechanical Carter fuel pump it was still enough to feed my dual carbed 600+ h.p. HEMI without ever any problems.

440 to hemi conversion..
"ouch" ...wish I knew this last week. All the "Xperts" here told me I needed 3/8" lines and ordered them last week. Oh well, I should have asked you guys first!

Ended up going with a D1SC pro charger from the Supercharger store. 440 was already 9.1:1 Compression. Still going from flat tappet to hydraulic roller with new cam.......ZHP should be btw 8-925

440 to hemi conversion...

I still believe you need to upgrade your fuel line to a 3/8". The Factory installed 3/8" on all 440 "Six-packs"/"six-barrel" and hemi cars. Now that you are looking at 800+ HP.
best of luck, send pics!
mark :sunny:

Absolutely, going with all 1/2 inch lines except return which will be 5/8's. New roller cam/lifters, intake, carb and cooling system. AND compressor....factory air, factory 4 speed.

Auto Transport Service
Back