• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 valve cover fasteners

paul1969cars

Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Hi

Question

My fasteners on my valve covers have a few of these studs per side. Don't know if there is a reason for this or not. I cant seem to find any bracket that goes on these. Don't know if someone over the years prior to me owning the car lost the correct bolts. Or maybe they are correct for some reason

I checked my 383 motor and its does not have any of these studs just all bolts.

Can you guys check to see and let me know

Thanks

IMG_5218.jpg
IMG_7641 circle.jpg
IMG_7647 circle.jpg

I always figured these were on the outboard lower corners to help line up gasket and valve cover when installing. Studs don’t seem to stay in place, they come out with the nut.

I‘ve had a few 67-68 440s and they all had 2 studs per side.

Just like your pictures show on the bottom outer holes. 2 per side.
Most got chunked and replaced with bolts over the years. I have seen them reinstalled in every other hole over the years by mechanics that didn't know or care.

Just like your pictures show on the bottom outer holes. 2 per side.
Most got chunked and replaced with bolts over the years. I have seen them reinstalled in every other hole over the years by mechanics that didn't know or care.
thanks

Factory studs are correct on each end.
correct,
every muscle car era ive seen have studs in the lower outside end locations

1/4-20 threads in the head end

1/4-28 on the visible end with the captive washer nut

Actually prefer studs all the way around... not original obviously.. but nice when working on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back