• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 w/headers - a request for pics of YOUR spark plug wire setups!

I switched to Accel Extreme 2000 ignition wires with Ceramic Boots last year. I will never go back. Posted a short piece last year on 9/16 about it in (electrical and Ignition). Had a question of where the one 45 angle was meant to go as all the rest were 90 degree. I really like the verticle RM wire looms myself. MoparedTN, if you like those TTI headers, take a look at TTI (Tri-Y) headers. In addition to the wire looms they really open up space in the engine bay for getting at things like power steering, A/C, starter and spark plug access. Here's a couple shots of my mess. Good Luck!
HPIM0353.JPG
HPIM0357.JPG

The headers are TTI 2" and are awesome. Changing plugs on the passenger side is a little bit of a pain but not horrible. Driver side is a dream. I can do all 8 plugs with a flex head ratchet, a plug socket, ratcheting box wrench, and a short extension. Way fewer tools than my last headers. The MSD wires have the perfect combo of boots for headers.
What specific set of MSD wires? There's so many.

I switched to Accel Extreme 2000 ignition wires with Ceramic Boots last year. I will never go back. Posted a short piece last year on 9/16 about it in (electrical and Ignition). Had a question of where the one 45 angle was meant to go as all the rest were 90 degree. I really like the verticle RM wire looms myself. MoparedTN, if you like those TTI headers, take a look at TTI (Tri-Y) headers. In addition to the wire looms they really open up space in the engine bay for getting at things like power steering, A/C, starter and spark plug access. Here's a couple shots of my mess. Good Luck! View attachment 499173 View attachment 499174
If these Hedmans will hurry up and rot out (they're solid as rocks right now), TTI is the obvious replacement for sure. :thumbsup:

moparedtn , their accels ceramics straight boots extreme 9000 ceramic p# 9000c . taylor makes a ceramic booted wires also . running them on both of those headered pick ups . yes there both orange . but the little one is a 383 hipo and the larger one is a stock 44o .
DSC01044.JPG
DSC01046.JPG
DSC09262.JPG
DSC09263.JPG
DSC08197.JPG

Now that's a new one on me...and I like it! Vertical is much better and looks neater too.

Got a set of these retaining rails which keep them away from the header.
Only thing i know now is whenever buying a set of spark plug wires is to make sure they have a straight plug for on the spark plug side to avoid issues.
Mine has the 90 deg plugs which force the wires closer to the headers, with them being straight helps a lot.

IMG_7783.JPG IMG_7784.JPG

moparedtn , their accels ceramics straight boots extreme 9000 ceramic p# 9000c . taylor makes a ceramic booted wires also . running them on both of those headered pick ups . yes there both orange . but the little one is a 383 hipo and the larger one is a stock 44o . View attachment 499382 View attachment 499383 View attachment 499384 View attachment 499385 View attachment 499386
That would explain all that room around those engines. :)
Oh man I love me some old Dodge pickups!

Got a set of these retaining rails which keep them away from the header.
Only thing i know now is whenever buying a set of spark plug wires is to make sure they have a straight plug for on the spark plug side to avoid issues.
Mine has the 90 deg plugs which force the wires closer to the headers, with them being straight helps a lot.

View attachment 499510 View attachment 499512
Nice work!
Who makes those?

Mine were not from a specific brand but there are heaps of options on ebay etc.
Look for spark plug wire separator and there will be all sorts available.

UPDATE 8/24/17:
Looky what Santa, disguised as a UPS lady, brought me:
IMG_20170824_182529692_HDR[2].jpg

I chose vertical ones, polished.

I go to start putting them on the engine, but I didn't want them to sit way high on both of the spacers they provided, so I dug around looking for bolts the appropriate length for one spacer.
Buzzer sounded. I gots none. :-(
Ok, for now I'll just install them "full height" with the supplied hardware...

No, Ed. No, you won't. The bolts supplied are the wrong thread pitch. :mad:
So much for that.
I try mounting the brackets flush on the valve cover and it's readily apparent that won't be of much benefit in clearing the drivers' side, since the header tube on that side for #1 rises up and crosses over #3 and #5 like they do.

It's also readily apparent I need different plug wire ends.
Straight ones. For about all the plugs except maybe #1 and #2 in the front.
Oh well, back to the drawing board....

My current bundle of snakes wiring:
IMG_20170824_182555008[1].jpg

IMG_20170824_182603992[1].jpg

UPDATE 8/24/17:
Looky what Santa, disguised as a UPS lady, brought me:
View attachment 505622
I chose vertical ones, polished.

I go to start putting them on the engine, but I didn't want them to sit way high on both of the spacers they provided, so I dug around looking for bolts the appropriate length for one spacer.
Buzzer sounded. I gots none. :-(
Ok, for now I'll just install them "full height" with the supplied hardware...

No, Ed. No, you won't. The bolts supplied are the wrong thread pitch. :mad:
So much for that.
I try mounting the brackets flush on the valve cover and it's readily apparent that won't be of much benefit in clearing the drivers' side, since the header tube on that side for #1 rises up and crosses over #3 and #5 like they do.

It's also readily apparent I need different plug wire ends.
Straight ones. For about all the plugs except maybe #1 and #2 in the front.
Oh well, back to the drawing board....

Are you talking to yourself again! :lol:

That would set my OCD into hyperspace!

I'm not done with these yet. They're the MSD Streets that keep popping off the plugs. They're history real soon.
20170701_001532.jpg

20170701_001549.jpg

Last edited:
I used extreme 9000's. Took 2 sets. 1 straight and 1 90's to make mine. I routed mine so I wouldn't have to mess with them when I lash valves.

IMG_0765.JPG

Are you talking to yourself again! :lol:
Yep, sure am. I've read you're only crazy if you answer yourself.
You sure about that, Ed?
Yep. Pretty sure on that.
:)
That would set my OCD into hyperspace!
I'm not done with these yet. They're the MSD Streets that keep popping off the plugs. They're history real soon.
View attachment 505638
View attachment 505639
Pretty nice looking stuff. Do the protectors come with them?
Could you put different ends on them?

I used extreme 9000's. Took 2 sets. 1 straight and 1 90's to make mine. I routed mine so I wouldn't have to mess with them when I lash valves.
View attachment 505644
Very nicely done! That's a thought - I could fetch another set of MSD's with straight ends to match what I have, since they're practically new...

Yep, sure am. I've read you're only crazy if you answer yourself.
You sure about that, Ed?
Yep. Pretty sure on that.
:)

Pretty nice looking stuff. Do the protectors come with them?
Could you put different ends on them?

I ordered the protective cover from Summit and just cut it the lenth that you need. It expands like those Chinese fingers we had as kids and returns to its original size. I really like it.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-204014

I also use this for my wireing harness to dissipate some heat and to tidy it up a bit. Has a nice look to it also. It's identical to the other just smaller in diameter. I used it on my plastic sheath shifter cables also, with an added foil sheild over it.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/tay-2580

The thing that sold me on the MSD wires, is that you can buy different ends. I bought the set with all straights, then ordered two 90* ends for #2 and #4 plugs. Then just use the supplied crimper to install them. MSD also has a 45* bendable plug end set.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/msd-3323

I also like the MSD wire separators. They are well made, have a hole for a screw if you want to fasten them permanent. I ordered a second set to add more than you see in my pics. Really helps with the longer runs.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8843

I'm probably going with the Firecore at a later date. I just don't like the lack of memory on the plug ends, not staying on after removing them once. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I do like everthing else about the MSD.

Auto Transport Service
Back