• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

470 Dyno Day Fun

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:14 AM
Reaction score
Finally completed my stoker build so I thought I’d share. Below is a link to one of the dyno pulls. Results were 624HP and 594 ft-lbs torque. Mechanical water pump and alternator were being driven. Adding my air cleaner dropped to 619HP. ready to drop in the 64 now. Super happy with how this all turned out.

400 block .030 over approx 10.8:1 compression
440 source stroker kit to 470ci
Trick flow 240 heads
Trick flow single plane intake
Harland Sharp 1.6 rockers
Custom grind Comp Cams cam (solid flat tappet)
MSD distributor
Custom built carb based on 750 QF main body

8DFC33B3-30CF-4210-B2CB-FE5326F2AD9B.jpeg
01367856-1542-4F6F-A7BC-48C4DB28F22D.jpeg

Nice ! Get it in, and Drive the wheels off of that '64 !

What were the cam specs?
How much total advance
Which springs and bushing in the distributor
What rear end gears are planning to run
Auto or 4pd
Great numbers

What were the cam specs?
How much total advance
Which springs and bushing in the distributor
What rear end gears are planning to run
Auto or 4pd
Great numbers

35.5 degrees timing. Distributor was straight out of the box MSD, no spring change or anything. Running this with 4.10s and a A833. As for cam specs, lift is .593/.585. 113 lobe separation, 251/250 duration at .050.

Thanks for posting very nice. I'd speculate around 640 without the accessories on the front.

Thanks for posting very nice. I'd speculate around 640 without the accessories on the front.

Agreed. That’s what my guys said as well. I just wanted a more true representation of what it is in the car hence why I did the run with the air cleaner. My carb tuner said I could probably get 6-7 more hp with even finer tuning but after 8 hours on the dyno with break in and testing I was good calling it there. A huge jump happened when we decided to tune for 94 octane pump gas instead of 91. That added 20hp. Couldn’t believe it.

Solid numbers! I’m planning a very similar build and I hope mine does as well as yours!

Solid numbers! I’m planning a very similar build and I hope mine does as well as yours!

most of my parts were very straight forward. Heads weren’t touched. Very mild port matching on the intake and valley tray. The person who did all the specs for the cam and machining did win engine masters a couple times so that helps haha. My carb guy is also a bit of a wizard. I couldn’t spec a cam if my life depended on it!

Sounds like a fun engine. Good call on going for more duration and overlap with the stroker, I am in the 243 at .050 range solid cam and my numbers are a bit lower with the same heads and a few more CI. I'm happy with it though, 13" vacuum at idle and it runs good on the street. Enjoy!

Sounds like a fun engine. Good call on going for more duration and overlap with the stroker, I am in the 243 at .050 range solid cam and my numbers are a bit lower with the same heads and a few more CI. I'm happy with it though, 13" vacuum at idle and it runs good on the street. Enjoy!

did you build the 512 stroker kit or just larger bore? I did not have enough vacuum to run power brakes. Wasn’t planning to but the dyno definitely confirmed it.

It’s got more in it with a bigger carb! Nice numbers though!!

did you build the 512 stroker kit or just larger bore? I did not have enough vacuum to run power brakes. Wasn’t planning to but the dyno definitely confirmed it.

No, 4.15 stroke crankshaft for 499ci. I don't have power brakes but the air grabber works like a stock 383 lol. After running a motor with 5" on a good day I definitely appreciate more engine vac just for the tuning on the street aspect.

Nice. Dist advance should have been all in at the 3800 RPM starting the pull.
Might need to tweek the advance once it is in the car?

It’s got more in it with a bigger carb! Nice numbers though!!

i would normally think yes but I fully trust the guys going the Dyno and carb. It’s not a normal 750. It’s a 750 body but custom base plate, metering blocks, etc etc. way beyond my knowledge. Something about speeding up the velocity through the carb. But yes If it was left to me I would have put a 950 on it and called it a day.

Auto Transport Service
Back