• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7L Hemi in 72 Charger

Seems like you'll have alot of extras that I won't be able to afford anytime soon. I'll finish reading through it later tonight. I'm curious as to how much this is gonna cost me though to just get it on the road.

Get everything you can from the Charger doner car, Transmission and slip yoke, complete engine wiring harness, computer, also if there good get the cooling fans and radiator, gas pedal. I gave 1800$ for the complete set up from an 06 Magnum. And I used the mopar performance plug and play wiring kit. It all went into a 74 Charger with a total cost of 3200$
Oh I had a a/c shop make me some a/c adapter lines so I could use the modern a/c that was on the engine.

Definitely go with as many of the 06 Charger pieces as you can, including the ECM & TCM (trans bd) Grab the shifter, too. There are lots of aftermarket knobs to make that look better including classic styled pistol grips. What that does for you besides $ savings, is that you can get a Diablo tuner and utilize one of the 3G Hemi shops to dial in the performance to exactly what you need and also turn off some items that you will not need/want for your installation. Also, if you want some easy horsepower (40+) , through in a cam while you have it out ~$400 w/ OEM SRT8 valve springs in all positions.

There is a market for the Charger parts (body/interior) that you can use to help recoop expenses.

Get over to www.LXForums.com for that kind of sale. Lots of folks there looking for take-off items.

Also get the transmission shifter and the TCM (trans control module).

If you would like a cost effective 50+ hp, throw in a cam while you are at it. Check out what XV did with their cams to get 438hp. Also realize there are 3G Hemi builders that have better cams than the XV cams that work very well w/ stock blocks w/o rist of piston valve collisions.

By using as much of the OEM equip as you can, you can use a Diablo tuner to get the most out the combo. You can also have a custom tuner writer write a tune to shut off some of the OEM stuff you don't want. :)

So I am really leaning towards this option. Do I have to buy an aftermarket harness or will just the factory harness with the factory computer be fine?

Auto Transport Service
Back