• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$500- 68 charger

Not sure on the 270's, I think the 240's were about $2200

Not sure on the 270's, I think the 240's were about $2200
So the 270s are better and cost more than the 240s? I thought there were some aluminum heads out there that were about $1200. Are those the crappy ones made in china that don't flow very good?

Last edited:
I'd throw valves seals and bearings in it, new front and rear crank seals, make sure the pickup is clean, then drop it in and thrash it till you get the other built ;)
That is very possible. I'd also put new timing gears & chain, oil pump and any other not so expensive parts that will help it. But not sure if I'll thrash it to much. A stock motor will not excite me enough. The last hotrod/mopar I had and strip raced 35 years ago, had a 500hp motor, 4.88 gears, slicks, etc, so I'll wait for the fun of thrashing the 400/512 when it's done, hopefully. lol

The stealth's are 500 a piece (1000) but need retainers & keepers in my opinion. Bobtile ran them on his GTX and dropped a valve on the second year he ran them I think. Your probably going to want really good heads for your stroker, so you could run them on the 440 now and then move them to the big motor later. Also the 75 cc chamber will boost the lower compression pistons you have now. FYI the stealths can made to be as good as the trickflows but take more labor to get there and you end up spending about the same money. I would only go the stealth route if I were trying to be sneaky and have stock appearing heads. Just my .02 worth. I think Jim (IQ52) did a low compression build that was close to 600hp on a 440. You might give him a call to confer.

BTW he said my 440 would go from 590 to 650-700 with just a cam & intake system change. And that's at 9.9:1

My tranny guy said my tranny was good to 650hp so as of now I should be bullet proof. I know the dana 60 with strange axles, GV, & cal tracs are all rated above that.

That is very possible. I'd also put new timing gears & chain, oil pump and any other not so expensive parts that will help it. But not sure if I'll thrash it to much. A stock motor will not excite me enough. The last hotrod/mopar I had and strip raced 35 years ago, had a 500hp motor, 4.88 gears, slicks, etc, so I'll wait for the fun of thrashing the 400/512 when it's done, hopefully. lol

Why wouldn't you thrash it? Might as well put a 318 in it if you're just gonna putter around until the 512 is built. Might just be me, but if I have a running Charger, it's gonna get run hard, regardless of engine ;) Hell I wring my '85 Charger 2.2 out, and it's just a carbed 4-cyl auto with a header, probably makes less than 100hp at the wheels :D

Why wouldn't you thrash it? Might as well put a 318 in it if you're just gonna putter around until the 512 is built. Might just be me, but if I have a running Charger, it's gonna get run hard, regardless of engine ;) Hell I wring my '85 Charger 2.2 out, and it's just a carbed 4-cyl auto with a header, probably makes less than 100hp at the wheels :D
440's putter a lot better than 318's,, lol... If I go thru the 440 I may romp it a little but I don't really care for thrashing on the street, to many people die from that, jmo., and I'm not taking the car to the strip till it's faster than the last car I raced, which it won't be with a mild built 440. That's like eating hotdogs after you've had steak. I'll probably just putter around with the 440 also partly because if I ever try to sell the car it'll have a nice unthrashed 440 as a possible option along with or other than the 512 and/or the original 383. All I need now is a Hemi, lol..

Last edited:
Fixing my problem with the quarter extensions so the painter won't have to mess with them. He should be ready for it in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed.View attachment 363347
20160929_193249_resized.jpg
20160929_214726_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Got both of the extensions fixed. I'm happy with how they came out. I test fit the trunk lid to them also. The gaps look better than factory. I looked at several chargers the other day at the car show and most of their extensions didn't fit as close/nice as mine now. I'm going to leave them off during paint and put them on after.
20161001_232918_resized.jpg
20161001_233111_resized.jpg
20161001_225658_resized.jpg
20161001_225615_resized.jpg
20160930_105705_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I put some filler on the faces of the extensions. There were dimples/depressions where the attaching studs were pulled a little to tight, and some other small dings. I'm trying to do a few small things to help the painter not have as much to do. Should be going to him in about a week, fingers crossed..
20161010_172334_resized.jpg

very nice, can't wait to see some paint on it.
Thanks.. I am goin nuts wanting to get this thing painted., Seriously! Working on it has been great mental and physical therapy for me and the paint job has had me stalled. There is still plenty of other stuff I could do but everything would take money from the paint,. so here I sit twiddling my thumbs.

Glad to see your back at the body work, been dropping in from time to time just waiting to see some paint!!!

Glad to see your back at the body work, been dropping in from time to time just waiting to see some paint!!!
Yep, I have been doing some small body work stuff, so the painter will have less to charge me for.. He should be calling for me to bring it to him any day now.. I'm getting better and more confident with the body work/ filling and blocking., and using this line sander my uncle left me.
20161025_193412_resized.jpg

Since you've started the body work why don't you do it all and then let the painter do a fine tune once over? Just curious.

Auto Transport Service
Back