• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

512 build !!!! ???

19 69 GTX

Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
Ok I'm ordering a 512 stroker kit from 440 source tomorrow. The build will be a 400 stroked to a 512. Its going in my 69 GTX 4 speed with 4.10 gear but may switch back to 3.54 . I'm going with a set of Trick Flow 240 set up for a roller cam. Was thinking of using the Trick flow cam that specs at 243/247 @.50 .600 lift and lsa of 108. Not looking for every hp I can get but a nice street brawler and maybe take to track at some point. I'm thinking of a set of Comp steel roller rockers or the Rocker Arms Unlimited ones. Compression should be around 10.4 to 1 . Hoping to make 600hp and 600tq and be very streetable. What intake would be good the Trick Flow or an RPM or...any recommendations on carb or any of the combo I have. Was thinking maybe going with the Holley Sniper Efi but..idk. what carb would you suggest. Thanks

I have similar setup/cam/heads and compared trick flow single plane to Holley street dominator. TF had slightly higher peak HP but the Holley had a huge advantage in the midrange in both torque/HP. If I had an RPM intake I would've liked to benchmark that it probably would have done well but I'm happy with the street dom. I would suggest a Holley 850 clone for carburetor. Also taller gears like 3.23 or 3.55 for stroker. The torque you will make with that combination won't need much gear.

Sounds like you have the combo pretty well figured out.

Just a comment about the previous post.......
The low deck Holley SD hasn’t been available for many years, so if that’s the route you decide to take, you’ll be looking for a used one.
Same goes for the MP single plane, which would also be a suitable choice.

I have similar setup/cam/heads and compared trick flow single plane to Holley street dominator. TF had slightly higher peak HP but the Holley had a huge advantage in the midrange in both torque/HP. If I had an RPM intake I would've liked to benchmark that it probably would have done well but I'm happy with the street dom. I would suggest a Holley 850 clone for carburetor. Also taller gears like 3.23 or 3.55 for stroker. The torque you will make with that combination won't need much gear.

I have 4.10 gear now may go back to 3.54 gear

Ruffcut garage here! Thats the exact same combo I have in my RR with the RPM intake. I have the Trick flow .600 lift hyd roller and also an Edelbrock 800 AVS carb. 10 to 1 comp. I went with 3.55 gear and recommended 3K stall torque converter. 28 inch tall tire also. Made for a really nice combo

Ruffcut garage here! Thats the exact same combo I have in my RR with the RPM intake. I have the Trick flow .600 lift hyd roller and also an Edelbrock 800 AVS carb. 10 to 1 comp. I went with 3.55 gear and recommended 3K stall torque converter. 28 inch tall tire also. Made for a really nice combo

Hoes she run for ya..seems more carb would be good. Does it have good street drivability

Thats plenty of carb and its very responsive. Have run it some but not driven it yet. Just got together before weather went to **** here. Won't be driving it until spring.

I’m building the exact combo for a friend. I’m using Harlan sharp 1.6 rockers though and the high rpm morel lifters. Honestly the 500 cubes don’t really need a dual plane. The old school singles work quite well. I ran a TM6 on my 512 for a bit (similar combo), worked really well. If buying new I’d run the trickflow if it’s got a gear and convertor in it.
04A611C7-9379-4A76-B8E0-966B7E9D6448.jpeg
0B928F22-792B-4B4D-9A68-852B460A5056.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m building the exact combo for a friend. I’m using Harlan sharp 1.6 rockers though and the high rpm morel lifters. Honestly the 500 cubes don’t really need a dual plane. The old school singles work quite well. I ran a TM6 on my 512 for a bit (similar combo), worked really well. If buying new I’d run the trickflow if it’s got a gear and convertor in it.
View attachment 1199872 View attachment 1199873

It's a 4 speed so not sure what intake I will run. I currently don't have one just curious if the Trick Flow piece would be a good choice. I would assume the ports are matched to the heads I'm getting

It's a 4 speed so not sure what intake I will run. I currently don't have one just curious if the Trick Flow piece would be a good choice. I would assume the ports are matched to the heads I'm getting

there’s going to be no bad choices with your combo. I’ve ran several different intake and carb combos on the 512 in my roadrunner (which is a street car). It likes big carbs, dominators. It also likes single planes. I even ran a M/W port Indy on it (my heads are big standard port) and it flat screamed with a 1050/4500. I transitioned back to a six pack for looks. I had to do a lot of work on the six pack Intake to make the motor happy. The distribution/idle quality suffers a little with the dual plane. It’s still pretty damn fast though, I just think the singles have better drivability on the 500 cubers. Torque has never been an issue with any of the intake/carb combos.

38F4D077-EA74-44A1-979A-5196B32FACC4.jpeg

Last edited:
there’s going to be no bad choices with your combo. I’ve ran several different intake and carb combos on the 512 in my roadrunner (which is a street car). It likes big carbs, dominators. It also likes single planes. I even ran a M/W port Indy on it (my heads are big standard port) and it flat screamed with a 1050/4500. I transitioned back to a six pack for looks. I had to do a lot of work on the six pack Intake to make the motor happy. The distribution/idle quality suffers a little with the dual plane. It’s still pretty damn fast though, I just think the singles have better drivability on the 500 cubers. Torque has never been an issue with any of the intake/carb combos.

View attachment 1200269

Nice I may just the Trick Flow intake

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-14

I haven't looked at manifolds since I built the 499 but decided to take a look on summit. the pickings are slim as expected, compared to 10 years ago...but...the street dominator lives! Summit has a link to the "strip dominator" but the item photo says "street dominator". I'm 90% positive this is the same manifold, has square/spread bore bolt holes and the weird EGR port that needs to be blocked off.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-14

I haven't looked at manifolds since I built the 499 but decided to take a look on summit. the pickings are slim as expected, compared to 10 years ago...but...the street dominator lives! Summit has a link to the "strip dominator" but the item photo says "street dominator". I'm 90% positive this is the same manifold, has square/spread bore bolt holes and the weird EGR port that needs to be blocked off.
He's got a low deck block.

Ok I'm ordering a 512 stroker kit from 440 source tomorrow. The build will be a 400 stroked to a 512. Its going in my 69 GTX 4 speed with 4.10 gear but may switch back to 3.54 . I'm going with a set of Trick Flow 240 set up for a roller cam. Was thinking of using the Trick flow cam that specs at 243/247 @.50 .600 lift and lsa of 108. Not looking for every hp I can get but a nice street brawler and maybe take to track at some point. I'm thinking of a set of Comp steel roller rockers or the Rocker Arms Unlimited ones. Compression should be around 10.4 to 1 . Hoping to make 600hp and 600tq and be very streetable. What intake would be good the Trick Flow or an RPM or...any recommendations on carb or any of the combo I have. Was thinking maybe going with the Holley Sniper Efi but..idk. what carb would you suggest. Thanks
Running the 440 source 512 kit too! Dome pistons kit coming right to the top! I kept CR at 9:7 to 1 for reg pump fuel. I do add a little octane boost to help out and it like that with cooler temps for sure!

I have a Torker single plane with a quick fuel 850 dp on top. For this it seems to be a pretty good combo. Even with the single plane for a street car! 4:10 gears too. Goes really well. Cruses very well and gets after it when you want it too!

I tried several different carbs on this before settling on this one and had several opinions on what it should be too! Fortunately, I have a friend who has all kinds setting around so I tried them without having to pay for them! I tried 650 to 950 and nothing went as well as that 850. Even other Holley 850’s! If you can find some to try, that would be really good and save some cash.

I’m not sure I’d start off recommending the torker intake but it works. I was looking at the info on the performer rpm dual plane but just haven’t done it because everything is really good.

Good luck with your build!

Nice I may just the Trick Flow intake

I know AndyF recommends the Trick Flow Intake for 470-512ci. with a 4150-carburetor. If I was buying an intake manifold today, that would be it, it's one of the best on the market.

On my 470, I'm running the M1 4500-manifold, it's really tough to find and completely different from the M1 4150-manifold (which I wouldn't run on a low-deck with large displacement).

The options are pretty slim for a low-deck compared to the RB. Even with the few options we have available, many don't have the same port-volume as the RB intake manifolds. With large displacement, you really need the additional port volume.

Last edited:
Mopar M1 intake is pretty good if you can find one.
I'd do a simple TB EFI like Holley Sniper unless you are going to dyno tune the engine with the carb.
My '69 Coronet with the 505" 440 uses 3.54:1 gear, and I run a 5-speed OD manual transmission also.
With the 4.10:1 gears, street driving would be like take off in second, then shift to 4th.
The Trick flow cam should be nice on the street.
If Trick flow makes a low deck intake, I'd use it unless you have limited hood clearance.
On Dans' 505 engine, I used the Harlan Sharp rocker arms recommended by Trick Flow in 1.6:1 ratio.
I used a solid roller from Lunati Cams with almost the same specs as the hydraulic roller Trick Flow cam (Back when the heads were just made, before Trick flow had the cam / intakes) Engine ran smooth, great on the street.
I ordered the heads with the larger springs and Ti retainers for the solid cam.
I think that engine was about 9.9:1 compression using the 27cc dish pistons in his 440 engine block with the 4.25" light weight stroker crank.
Ran a Holley HP 1,000 cfm carb, but never got it to the chassis dyno to final tune the engine.
Dans' car did not have wideband O2 sensor to monitor A/F ratio, but the car ran with a 12.5:1 A/F ratio on my old 451 stroker engine?
We only ran 32 degrees ignition timing at the time.
After a few months of driving the engine was sabotaged? at a car show as I was told. Somehow a bolt was dropped past the carb into the intake, and then into the chamber where the bolt caused a ton of damage to the piston, head, and even cracked the cylinder wall. I think the crank and rods were fine as was the other 7 pistons.

You have pretty much all the information you need in the responses So the only things i will address is the Holly sniper EFI that you suggested interest in running, I went with the hyper spark ign. and the Holley sniper stealth EFI. I have them on an old school torker single plane intake because I wanted the better fuel atomization and added torque at higher rpm from the single plane. You will have a TON of torque on the bottom with a stroker to start with and the fact the its a 4 speed you can start where ever you want in the rpm range anyway. After taking the time to get everything adjusted correctly I LOVE the EFI!! No matter the engine temp I have 1-2 second engine crank before start, throttle response is instant and the ability to view and or adjust anything having to do with the fuel or timing that I want to at any time. Or I can chose to set it and forget it. No I don't want to butt heads with all the carb guys I get it I am saying that in my application and experience EFI has worked very well and exceeded expectations.

My set up is a 440-512 440 source kit with the Stealth heads and a smallish .525 231/237 on 110 cam ended up right around 10.25:1 i have full TTI header & 2 1/2 X-pipe system with Dynaflo super turbo mufflers. I dynode at 530ish hp and just under 600FBT but i carry upper 500's FBT fbt from 3000 to 5700 rpm though my 18 spline 4 speed 3.54 gears and 28 inch tires running hard I can get rubber into 3rd gear (Street tires). I don't know exactly what you are looking for but for me it was a good place to start.

resto36.jpg resto49.jpg resto51a.jpg

The Trick Flow intake is very good, and yes they will work great on the street! They don't make one for low-decks though.
EFI on a stroked B engine? I wouldn't even consider a dual plane.

Last edited:
Ordered the 240 heads everything is on backorder of course. Trying to decide on a good set if rockers and what cam. Waiting to see what Hughes recommends but I'm sure it will be close to same specs

Auto Transport Service
Back