• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 pack acting weird...or maby acting normal? lol

saludora

Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
hello i been trying to adjust the mixture screws on my six pack on the center carb...the out boards are vacuum. i turn both screws all the way in and the motor doesn't 20140608_180042.jpgget-attachment.jpg934_p20_l (1).jpg stall? what am i missing here? any help on this would be great. ty in advance lol

so change the meter block?
seems to run ok i was just alarmed that seating the needles didnt kill the motor like every other holly ive adjusted. new to a six pack motor and a bit confused. was gonna turn em in till they started choking motor then back a quarter turn but alas no effect on the engine idle

so change the meter block?
seems to run ok i was just alarmed that seating the needles didnt kill the motor like every other holly ive adjusted. new to a six pack motor and a bit confused. was gonna turn em in till they started choking motor then back a quarter turn but alas no effect on the engine idle

UPDATE...i hooked vacume gage to the center carb and adjusted the needles in the meter block untill i was at max vacume at idle...was only able to acheive abot 12 and 5 inch at idle and it was jumping back and forth from 5 inch to about 2 lol....anyways took it out and it ran like a raped ape! still acts like it is missing at low idle cruising but i believe it is the cam...the cam is 509/292

The outboard carbs idle as well and that does have an affect. The mixture screws are capped off and are hard to get to unless you make a special tool. Six Packs are a PITA to work with!!!

Perhaps the vacuum advance on the distributor needs adjustment now, if you're running it.

UPDATE...i hooked vacume gage to the center carb and adjusted the needles in the meter block untill i was at max vacume at idle...was only able to acheive abot 12 and 5 inch at idle and it was jumping back and forth from 5 inch to about 2 lol....anyways took it out and it ran like a raped ape! still acts like it is missing at low idle cruising but i believe it is the cam...the cam is 509/292

vacuum advance on dist is plugged

I just put a 6 pack on my 440. It seems to surge when under a load at around 65 mph. Not sure what to do. I have metering blocks in the out board carbs with 79 jets. Any help would be nice.

How much timing do you have at idle? You should be at 20 btdc or more with that cam.
Use your vacuum gauge and adjust timing to highest vacuum then back off between 1 and 2 hg adjusting idle to 900 as you go, if it starts fine when hot your good to go.
By giving it more advance the idle will increase, then bring the idle back to 900.
By closing the throttle plates more it will bring you back into the idle circuit so you can properly adjust the idle mixture screws.
If you are in the idle circuit and you bottom out the mixture screws it should die or come close to dying.

- - - Updated - - -

I just put a 6 pack on my 440. It seems to surge when under a load at around 65 mph. Not sure what to do. I have metering blocks in the out board carbs with 79 jets. Any help would be nice.

That's a lean surge, center carb should have #64 to 66 jets, if your vacuum is less than 12 at idle use a 4.5 power valve otherwise 6.5 is ok.
outboards should have 82 to 86 jets with long yellow springs in the diaphragms.
Stock will be in the lower sizes, big cam in the higher sizes, all engines are different
This info was given to me by Bob Karakashian (AKA Mr. Six Pack), he lives a few miles from me and is a genius when it comes to six packs, google his name.

Thought this was about beer and and was going to say if it wasn't working right, you weren't drinking enough... :D Btw, I can't help much on the 6 packs....haven't had much experience with them.

Thought this was about beer and and was going to say if it wasn't working right, you weren't drinking enough... :D Btw, I can't help much on the 6 packs....haven't had much experience with them.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I just let the experts set mine up. That would be Lance Patton of Patton racing carbs in Lawrenceville Ga. You will benefit from an experienced tuner.

I live in North Idaho near Coeur D' Alene. not sure of any Professionals around here for it

I know a guy in the Houston area that's pretty good with them but I'm hard pressed to get him to open up on them. Why people are that way is beyond me.....

Check out the JUNE (2014) issue of HOT ROD magazine. It has an article about rebuilding and tuning the 440 six pack.

So the outboards are vacuum factory right? I have been told that when you let off the throttle it takes a little time til they close. Increases the scare factor. Be careful. Set me straight if I don't comprehend, here to learn. A friend demolished his 'Cuda similar circumstance.

So the outboards are vacuum factory right? I have been told that when you let off the throttle it takes a little time til they close. Increases the scare factor. Be careful. Set me straight if I don't comprehend, here to learn. A friend demolished his 'Cuda similar circumstance.

Yes all where vacuum secondary's from the factory, mechanical carbs and linkage was available aftermarket and was mostly used for racing applications.
If you let off the throttle the linkage closes all three carbs instantly, this goes for both vacuum and mechanical secondaries.

Some call it scare factor, I call it fun factor.

Auto Transport Service
Back