• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 Pack Carb Choke Options?

GrabberOrange69

Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
I'm building a short deck B with a 6 Pack for my '65 Coronet hot rod project. I bought the intake/carbs/linkage together a year ago on fleaBay. I'm going with no exhaust crossover in the intake (heads don't have them).

What are my option for a choke on the center carb? I'm assuming the stock piece is a no go without exhaust crossover.

Thanks,

That is not true but it will take a loooong time to heat up. Seriously the best I can think of is to install a manual choke cable and fab up a bracket. I do this on TQ's. There not pretty but they are functional!

Last edited:
at one time holley made an electric choke for carbs with an external choke pull off vacuum line. you might do some research and see if it's still available and will fit your carb.

thinking back about 10yrs, i did a 6-pak/indy sr head combo one time for a friend and we used the stock choke set-up. i don't remember any issues, seemed to work. you'd be surprised how much heat an alum intake will draw off of alum heads.

Thanks all. It didn't occur to me this choke would be an issue until I was sitting in the garage and looking at the set-up when it struck me there would be little heat to the divorced choke.

Now I see there are no "blister pack" options, but it has me thinking. I'm gonna scrounge around and see what kind on mechanical conversion might be pressed into service.

Funny, but I had the exact same idea as the guy in the MoParts forum but haven't implemented it yet. The electric divorced choke would be the way to go and I suggest you follow his lead.

Am I missing something, or did anyone else find these links not helpful? There was no pictures of what was actually made, no schematics, and only one part number, the timer piece LM555. Anybody have better information on what was made? I would keen to make this modified choke for my Six Pack since I drive the car sometimes in the very cold NW Indiana.

Check out the link below,this guy installed a heating element by drilling a hole in the choke and going into the well and then installed a timer that runs off the ignition circuit so the heater turns off after a certain amount of time.
As far as I know there is no electric setup that will work, and I have never seen one.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5004745

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7604768&an=&page=0&vc=1

Am I missing something, or did anyone else find these links not helpful? There was no pictures of what was actually made, no schematics, and only one part number, the timer piece LM555. Anybody have better information on what was made? I would keen to make this modified choke for my Six Pack since I drive the car sometimes in the very cold NW Indiana.

Check the second link it has schematics, maybe read everything before you say it wasn't helpful.
It's just something I stumbled across and thought I would share, you could always go to the other site and try contact the poster and find out more if you where interested enough.

LM555PowerDelay.jpg

You shouldn't need a choke in Vegas. Don't use one on mine way up here. :icon_weed:

Does it make sense or can you even plug the intake crossover just after the choke? You could still block the driver side and maybe still get some heat to use the choke.

There is no bolt on Holley electric choke that will fit a 6 pk center carb that i know of.If you go with a manual choke,you will have to fabricate a bracket and make sure it also works the fast idle cam instead of just closing the choke plate.The original choke will work if you adjust the thermostatic spring just enough to close the choke plate,it will take a little longer to open but it will work.

Auto Transport Service
Back