• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60's high school mopar troubleshooting

sam dupont

Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
P1017301.JPG

100 points for car I D

Last edited:
Before my time, but I understood they were pretty serious about that Chrysler trouble shooting competition. The Drivers Ed car in 1969 was a Road Runner. By the time I took driver's ed they were using a Matador

My Dad was an Auto Shop teacher. He was a judge in the local contests in 1970 and 71. He also was in charge of "sabotaging" the cars with the problems the students had to find. I still have this decal he gave me from the contest.

Ply trouble shooter.jpg

One of the local mechanics I knew won a gold-plated socket set by winning in the contest. When Chrysler got out of the troubleshooting contest Ford and AAA took it over. I was an automotive technical college instructor for 26 years and helped with the contest until AAA closed it down in 2015. I helped bug the cars as well. It was a great experience for myself and all the students over the years that participated. In my mind a very short-sighted decision to cancel the contest. Ford had a division for the students as well as dealership technicians for many years.

Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills Competition Ends -

The Missouri Automobile Dealers association used to hold a contest to qualify students for this contest in New York city as well. I actually designed and ran the contest for the Missouri dealers association. It got canceled as well, also a short-sighted decision.

National Automotive Technology Competition

At least the Missouri Vocational instructors were really disappointed, as these two contests really motivated students to excel and try to win not only bragging rights but prizes and scholarships as well.

One of the local mechanics I knew won a gold-plated socket set by winning in the contest. When Chrysler got out of the troubleshooting contest Ford and AAA took it over. I was an automotive technical college instructor for 26 years and helped with the contest until AAA closed it down in 2015. I helped bug the cars as well. It was a great experience for myself and all the students over the years that participated. In my mind a very short-sighted decision to cancel the contest. Ford had a division for the students as well as dealership technicians for many years.

Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills Competition Ends -

The Missouri Automobile Dealers association used to hold a contest to qualify students for this contest in New York city as well. I actually designed and ran the contest for the Missouri dealers association. It got canceled as well, also a short-sighted decision.

National Automotive Technology Competition

At least the Missouri Vocational instructors were really disappointed, as these two contests really motivated students to excel and try to win not only bragging rights but prizes and scholarships as well.

It would be fun to resurrect at a car event. Charge team entry fees and take donations going to a charity.

It would be fun to resurrect at a car event. Charge team entry fees and take donations going to a charity.
For several years we held the contest in the garage area of the NASCAR track in Kansas city, sometimes teams were having practice sections while we were holding the contest. It was really fun. Actually, several of the area votech's instructors asked if they got their schools to donate would we still have a contest of some sort. I could not get the department of secondary education to support the contest. Money was kind of tight at that time in the state.

Auto Transport Service
Back