• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 330 Street Hemi build

Things are moving along. I'll try to have some shots of the progress on the body in the next couple of days. Back from the second trip to the blaster. This time, donor car parts. Rear seat frames, bumper brackets, hood hinges, hood, deck lid, firewall brake plate, fuel tank, rear wheel wells for mini tub ext., etc... Oh, we also shot the test panel of the finish color today. Gerald (the body guy) looked at it, then at me, and said "Nice sleeper color". That's kind of the point... We'll see.

Attachments

• trim ready65.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,088
  • trim ready66.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,063
  • trim ready67.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,082
landed on the color pallet for the car. LL-1 dark turquoise exterior, L1Q factory interior code off the stock fender tag for the orig. car. Gonna do Hemi door panels for now.

Taking pictures of this never shows the metal flake or the true interior colors but here ya go... for reference the swatches go; seat fabric, main vinyl, accent vinyl, head liner. ps. i hate doing this stuff as I cannot see "tones" in colors. Luckily, darling wife gets this stuff, plus these are '64 factory combos. Y'all have a great Labor Day weekend!!

Attachments

• color68.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,053
  • color69.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,020
  • color70.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,036
Enough of the "girly" stuff. A few shots of the minitubs tacked in and some of the trunk brackets tacked. The conduit is just support for now.

Attachments

• color71.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 993
  • color72.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • color73.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • color74.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,021
Package tray and donor car.

Attachments

• donor76.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,001
  • donor77.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 976
  • donor78.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 992
  • donor79.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 990
You have brass b@lls as big as church bells for tackling such a project, very good work!!

Thanks guys. On this one i'm not doing the heavy lifting. Gerald, of Gerald"s Body Shop, in New Paris Indiana is taking care of this stuff. I can do lighter duty stuff but when it comes to this, it's best left to the pro's. You might notice a few other projects in the back round of the second picture... I'll do the final assy. and the driveline install.

looking good that`s alot of work but in the long run you`ll be happy ! :headbang::headbang::grin:

Will it be a baby 426 Elepant or a 500 + Mammouth??:grin:
Steroids,blue baby bottle,boost or just orange juice:sideways tongue:

For the first go 'round a-more-than-stock 426. I'm fond of that bore/stroke combo. It dynoed right at 500 horse but as we know the torque is awesome, damn near the second you're off idle, which is the reason for the mini-tub. The whole thing would be kind of pointless with 14X7 1/2 rears.

PS. my "boost" fix comes from the '08 SRT Challenger. Bored/stroked/blown 6.1 platform (426 now) just under 800 horse at 14 lbs. boost. Fun grocery getter.

Here ya go R3. Although the worst possible combo; A cheap camera and guy who doesn't know how to take pictures...

Attachments

• Challenger83.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 908
  • Challenger84.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 919
  • Challenger85.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 933
  • Challenger87.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 930
This is the last part of a thread exchange that occurred when asking about arm rests in the "restoration" form. thought it might be useful here... Several contributed to the question and this is where it landed.

Originally Posted by HitIt
"For a 64 Dodge 330, the bases would have been painted, not chromed. Red plastic paint by Krylon has been on mine for years, and it hasn't chipped or peeled yet. I did use an adhesion promoter before the paint too."

Once again Hitit, you are correct. I spent about an hour "decoding" the 64 parts catalogue and looking at the 64 brochures online. The "L1Q" trim code is;
"L" = Low Line (330 Sedan, Hard top, Wagon)
"1" = Cloth on vinyl.
"Q" = Turquoise

The "Low Line" trim package was really dumbed down. This post was a very basic, low end, commodity piece for the dealers. Over the years, in my car, parts had been substituted, added, replaced, plus who knows how many hands were on this thing before I got it. Anyway, I'm going to match the color and paint the bases. The other thing I found out was that there should be NO ashtray in the front arm rests, only the rear. BUT, you could get the long or the short arm rests in either the front or the rear matching each side.

Just for reference...

For the first letter.
The 440 is "M"
The Polara is "H",
The Polara 500 Sport is "P",
The 880 is "E"

The next number.
All vinyl is "4"

The last letter is the color.
"B" is blue,
"R" is red,
"T" is tan,
"Y" is gold.

A-833

That shop floor is so clean it's making me uncomfortable. Hurry up and cover it in oily stains.

Great starting point for your project. It looks like your first order of business will be 40 hours of floor repair.

Keep us posted on the progress.
the quickest way I know to oily up that shop floor... Roll a Chevy in there
LOL!!:jerk:

few shots of the "donor roof" clamped and tacked. like the rear upper quarters/package tray we'll lead these back in. we saved a bunch of the original lead when removing. kinda cool.

Attachments

• roof89.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 889
  • roof90.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 864
  • roof91.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 901
  • roof92.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 871
quick follow-up to the molasses dip. I cleaned and etch primed the rear window bases before i thought to take some shots but here is the emergency break pedal assy and the rear regulators unfinished. a little flash rust but that will wipe off. notice the way the old rusty regulator spring is eaten away. This stuff works, if it's rust, Its gone. the other springs didn't survive.

Attachments

• rust93.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 848
  • rust94.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 873
  • rust95.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 881
Quick shot of the shock tower flipped and the rough notch. Right now the car looks like Frankenstein's monster. I'll probably hold off on the shots until we get the welds ground and some of the filling and priming done.

Attachments

• rough tower96.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 872
Auto Transport Service
Back