• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Belvedere speedometer cable

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
Just got my new speedo cable from Joe Suchy. Next week I'll probably install it after I coat it with lithium grease. Anything I should know about installing it? Any hidden clip or some special thing I need to know first? Thanks all. The Creep Wagon is slowly coming back to life.

I believe you need to lubricate the cable itself. Imperial Cable makes them, and they recommend it...
Cable lube, or a good spray type, hang it up, and let gravity do its work...

Just got my new speedo cable from Joe Suchy. Next week I'll probably install it after I coat it with lithium grease. Anything I should know about installing it? Any hidden clip or some special thing I need to know first? Thanks all. The Creep Wagon is slowly coming back to life.
Automatic, or 4 speed? Cable shift, or later style Torqueflite?
My 65, late 69 B 727... nothing special . Pretty straight forward. Follow given instructions.

Yeah I have to lube the cable. It's a 65 Belvedere automatic. Just didn't know if there was anything special or tricks I should know.

Yeah I have to lube the cable. It's a 65 Belvedere automatic. Just didn't know if there was anything special or tricks I should know.
It routes near the accelerator pedal mount area and a bracket that fastens to the pedal studs holds the cable up in that section of the route. Do you have the bracket?
Mike

It routes near the accelerator pedal mount area and a bracket that fastens to the pedal studs holds the cable up in that section of the route. Do you have the bracket?
Mike
No, the original speedo cable was cut near the firewall grommet.

OK. I took a couple of pics. The dimensions are: 1/2" high X 1 7/8" wide X 3 5/8" long. Slotted hole to front.
Mike
IMG_2592.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG

So I finally got to my speedometer cable. I attached it to the gauge cluster, no problem. I got the number of teeth, 29. I set the tranny housing to the 26-31 tooth setting. And away I go. NOTHING. Needle doesn't even move. I take it off the trans and attach my drill to it. Needle moves fine. I attach it back to the trans and still nothing.
I bought the cable from Joe Suchy a while back. It's a later 727 with the original speedo. At the time this is the one that Joe said I needed.
Anyone have an idea?

So I finally got to my speedometer cable. I attached it to the gauge cluster, no problem. I got the number of teeth, 29. I set the tranny housing to the 26-31 tooth setting. And away I go. NOTHING. Needle doesn't even move. I take it off the trans and attach my drill to it. Needle moves fine. I attach it back to the trans and still nothing.
I bought the cable from Joe Suchy a while back. It's a later 727 with the original speedo. At the time this is the one that Joe said I needed.
Anyone have an idea?
Does the speedo pinion move when the output shaft is rotated?
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back