• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet Turn Signal on, Brake Lamp Goes Off

Havasu Dave

Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
PROBLEM RESOLVED

Normal operation, turn signals and brake lights work fine. Both bulbs are 1157's.

Turn either signal on, the corresponding brake light goes out. Everything else works.

I jumped white wire from brake switch power on signal wire plug to the other side of the signal wire plug, pressed brake, then actuated signal arm and had good power out of both sides of the switch as measured at the plug. (BRN and DGRN wires.) That indicates the signal assembly functioning, at least without the load of the bulb.

When I research similar problems, solutions seem to be the signal assembly. Am I correct in assuming that the brake and signal are on the same bulb filament? Scratching my head on this one.

PROBLEM RESOLVED- THERE IS NO PROBLEM

Last edited:
Looking at the schematic, the brake lamps go through the signal switch, so electrically I cant see how you would ever get a signal and a brake light on the same side at the same time. Do I not even have a problem here???

I had a similar issue on my 68 Coronet. Pulled the turn signal switch apart and found the ends of the solid wire bent and not making contact for the brake lights when stalk was moved to the turn signal position. Straightened the ends of the wire and problem solved .... good luck !

Looking at the schematic, the brake lamps go through the signal switch, so electrically I cant see how you would ever get a signal and a brake light on the same side at the same time. Do I not even have a problem here???
It will make sense one you pull the switch apart and see how the solid wire makes contact ...

From your description you have no problem. 1 filament for tail and other for stop/turn. Ur thinking of newer cars with separate bulb for stops, another for the turns.

It is usually a rusty bulb socket where the socket grounds to tail housing or tail housing not grounding to body.

From your description you have no problem. 1 filament for tail and other for stop/turn. Ur thinking of newer cars with separate bulb for stops, another for the turns.

Thank you all for the reply, but this one here from oldbee is what I see from my troubleshooting, and from what the schematic shows. I just wasn't sure if one filament took care of brake and signal, but not both at the same time.

Every time I drive it, some yahoo is yelling at me because one of my brake lights are out.

Yeah, I went to HF bought a puller, didn't work, fabricated a puller, pulled it all apart, and nothing is wrong. I LOVE THIS STUFF! LOL, thanks all for the replies. At least I can now clean the switch and horn stuff up, as it really needs it.

You need to pull the signal switch and look at the contacts. You will see nothing without doing this ....

I'd try blinker relay, cheap and easy possibility

PROBLEM RESOLVED. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO WORK LIKE THAT. TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS IN ORIGINAL POST WERE SOLID. NO RESPONSE REQUIRED. THANKS!

Auto Transport Service
Back