• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 R/T 440 air cleaner

Well, if/when you decide to make your air cleaner correct.
I will take that one off your hands when you're ready to get rid of it.

I had a early 68 Barracuda 383 4-speed with that air cleaner on it. I believe it was correct for 67 big block A bodies and maybe some others. The pie tin on yours is incorrect for the application I mentioned.
@RSZ28 how about a reason for the disagreement???

I had a early 68 Barracuda 383 4-speed with that air cleaner on it. I believe it was correct for 67 big block A bodies and maybe some others. The pie tin on yours is incorrect for the application I mentioned.
Just a clarification on my part but would the correct pie tin for the 67 R/T say 440 4-Barrel in red ?
This is what Year One offers presently but none of these would be the correct one I think.

67 GTX original car.
20220713_154140.jpg

70 Superbird restored original.
20220713_154159.jpg

68 Coronet R/T. I don't know if this is correct, but it's what I have.
20220713_154227.jpg

Here is some information that hopefully helps. From original advertisement: Pie Tin was 440 MAGNUM.

MN1025 - 1967-68 Mopar

Parts catalog only calls out dual snorkel only for the 440. But I am almost positive the CA cars got the unsilenced air cleaner, though there is not part number for a 440 version, so they would have most likely used the 383 one and put the 440 pie tin on it. But it does show a C.A.P. and non C.A.P. version. I don't know what C.A.P. is. Can someone assist?

1967-dodge-coronet-rt-ad.jpg

il_fullxfull.1377708746_fjtn.jpg

Attachments

• 14-29-7.pdf
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I think you are correct, 67 GTX'S were super commando's in red. I can't guarantee that answer.
'67 R/T pie pan is red and says 440 Magnum. I think 440 4-Barrel piece would be non-HP C-body. ...if there ever was such an original pie pan: I have never seen one.

I bought a 67 R/T driveline, engine complete with AFB and air cleaner. No snorkels, red 440 Magnum pie plate.

Here is some information that hopefully helps. From original advertisement: Pie Tin was 440 MAGNUM.

MN1025 - 1967-68 Mopar

Parts catalog only calls out dual snorkel only for the 440. But I am almost positive the CA cars got the unsilenced air cleaner, though there is not part number for a 440 version, so they would have most likely used the 383 one and put the 440 pie tin on it. But it does show a C.A.P. and non C.A.P. version. I don't know what C.A.P. is. Can someone assist?

View attachment 1312418

View attachment 1312419
CAP is Chrysler’s “clean air package”
I believe.

MN1025 - 1967-68 Mopar

View attachment 1312418

View attachment 1312419
That's what I know and from the road test articles........

CAP was "California only" in 1967. The CAP consisted of a leaner calibrated AFB, a valve cover breather with a rubber hose that connected to a nipple on the air cleaner, a different intake, PCV to the carb and a different distributor curve, that worked in conjunction with an added vacuum control valve. It will be on the Capitol "E" location on your trim tag and read "E1". Mine was built in L.A. and sold in S.F.

00505_lseKsbof4O8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

MN1025 - 1967-68 Mopar

View attachment 1312418

View attachment 1312419
CAP is Clean Air Package which would be a California car. AFAIK the CAP cars had a dual snorkel air cleaner with a tube on the drivers side snorkel for a hose to connect to the breather on the valve cover.

No snorkel looks great, so do dual snorkel.
I have seen both on original cars from different plant builds.
Cool car

CAP is Clean Air Package which would be a California car. AFAIK the CAP cars had a dual snorkel air cleaner with a tube on the drivers side snorkel for a hose to connect to the breather on the valve cover.
Exactly. The whole idea is to keep the crank fumes more sealed to being sucked in the carb.
So the open one would ikely not be the CAP one.

So....I am working on this 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. It is a 440 automatic. The car is as it was when ordered from the factory (minus exhaust, coil, and dress up) and is still owned by the original owner. It has the non-snorkel air cleaner with the red 440 Magnum tin on it.

50.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back